cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration 7.5 to 10.1 and backups enviroments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm planning a migration from 7.5NW to 10.1 and "2 backups enviroment". I think it's neccesary, beyond to migrate the enviroment in use, to do a restore of 2 backups enviroment and then run program migration, but is this true? if I perform these steps it is as if I did migration 3 times. Are there other way to perform this?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Fernando.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you mean by "2 backups enviroment"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

2 files stored in local. These files are result of UJBR backup.

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What for do you need this files?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's a requirement of client => "Migrate Appset in use and 2 more (Backup)", I think they (client) be afraid  about migration and they want to be assured that they will have "all" in 10.1 version. But really it's neccesary? What do you think?

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but "It's a requirement of client => "Migrate Appset in use and 2 more (Backup)"" - absolutely unclear, you have to discuss reasons with the client!

May be they have some old backup different to current system setup and they want to look on data in this backup. Then you will have to migrate it or keep 7.5 on some server just to view this backup...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, really I need more information regarding this requirement. I will update this discussion in next days. But a priori, I think that if they need the 2 backups migrated to 10.1 version, the effort regarding migration project will increase almost x3..

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"will increase almost x3" - it depends... if they only want to view some reports then it will not take a lot of efforts!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

It is pointless to migrate the 2 backups as you stated, it will be x3 effect.

it will be dependent on how much change you made during the migration.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry, I said to it was neccesary to migrate 2 backups, but actually I need to migrate 3 various Environment (AppSet).

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And what? What is the business case?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

The business case is:

- I have 1 main AppSet (connected to R/3, reporting, BPF...)

- I have 2 secondary AppSet (used only to consult historical data)

I guess I will have to do the migration process x3. The first step will be migrate the main Appset and then I'll migrate the 2 secondary Appset trying to take advantage of the manual task (E.G. Reporting).

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It will not be an x3 job!

Historical AppSets do not need any input forms! And reports for the main Appset can be used to view historical data with 99% probability.

You also don't need to check any script logic in historical Appsets...

Don't need to configure data load...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes! Thank very much.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just agree with the customer the number of reports that has to work on historical data (may be the list will be very short!) And after main environment conversion just test current reports on the historical data. Also ad hoc reports can be easily generated for historical data...

P.S. If answer is helpful or correct - mark it helpful or correct, don't use like!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

manohar_pappireddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

Apart from UJBR backup,I think you have DB2 backup also right?

Regards,

Manohar