cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of properties within a BPC dimension

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We are looking to do something rather radical in our dimensions in order to improve end user reporting in BW.  This would involve several properties being added to a dimension.

My question is... Is there a limit on how many properties a dimension can hold ?

My research has brought me to the number 1000 which is the maximum amount of columns our Oracle DB can hold against a single table.

If anyone else has any thoughts about this I would be very interested in hearing them.

In case anyone is interested, we are flattening some of our hierarchies into properties so that reports can be used easier in the BEx suite of tools.  The hierarchy view with around 20 node levels does not look pretty at the moment - even when we select 'start at level'.

Thanks

Ian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Can you explain with some sample how do you want to use multiple properties...

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim

This is one of a few methods we are exploring in an attempt to report on BPC data in BW.

We have reports built using transient queries on top of the BPC model which works fine.  However, most of our hierarchies have 15 or so levels and so the hierarchy display in BEx Analyzer is very unattractive.  The business simply do not want to scroll through every level of the hierarchy when all they might want is a single value (e.g., Region).

To get around this, we are looking at adding a set of properties to dimensions where we are 'flattening' the hierarchy.  So, for example, a 'model' member will have properties 'model range' and 'product group'.  This will mean that we can report on each hierarchy level without the need to drill down.  Similar to navigational attributes in traditional BW, if you like...

This is rather messy though and something we would need to automate via some scripting in the staging area of the BPC loads.

Here is where I am hoping you are going to tell me there is an easier way to do this!  Business Objects is just around the corner from us so that may also be an option.

Thanks

Ian