cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning ABAP for BPC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I understand Script logic very well, but I'd like to learn ABAP also. I've programmed in T-SQL, a bit in VB.NET, and a lot in Script logic, but I know little to nothing about how to program in ABAP.

What I'd like to start with is to find out (beginning to end) how to take something like:

*WHEN Account

*IS "Net_Income"

*REC(Factor=1,Account="Equity")

*ENDWHEN

*COMMIT

And translate that into ABAP so that I could get it to work with a BPC NW app. Is there a book I could buy that would show me end to end how to do this? Maybe a book on BW and ABAP? I don't think doing this is simple...

Thank you,

Grant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Grant,

The way script logic in MS is complemented by stored procedures, in the NW version, script logic is complemented by BADIs. So, instead of learning ABAP, I would suggest you to focus on BADI.

Hope this helps.

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Grant and Nilanjan,

BADIs are written in ABAP, so I think you are both talking about the same thing

You'll want to focus on learning ABAP Objects because this is the modern ABAP programming paradigm and BPC's BADIs and most of the BPC application code are based on the ABAP Objects framework. A couple of book recommendations I've seen (though I have not read either):

Next Generation ABAP Development (2nd edition) - [http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-ABAP-Development-2nd/dp/1592293522/] - (Rich appears on this forum sometimes to answer BPC questions)

ABAP Objects: Introduction to Programming SAP Applications - [http://www.amazon.com/ABAP-Objects-Introduction-Programming-Applications/dp/0201750805/]

Both of these books go into way more detail than you will probably need in order to program simple BADIs, but you can read the parts you need, and when you run into something new and need more information, these books should cover the topic.

Cheers,

Ethan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the responses.

One more question - is there a large difference in the code in ABAP for BPC/BW vs. other modules of SAP? And therefore, would a book focused more on BW be what I should be focusing on?

Thank you,

Grant

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Grant,

No, I would not say there is any difference in the ABAP itself. It is the same language. In every application there are differences in the interfaces used (function modules and classes) to interact with the application and there are differences in the data models of the tables underlying the applications.

So, to answer your question, a generic ABAP book should be fine, but you may also want to get a book about BW so that you understand the data structures that are used in BW (cubes, DSOs, InfoObjects). The problem with getting a book on ABAP for BW is that it will probably focus on things like transformation routines and variable exits, which are not actually relevant to BPC BADI programming, and it will probably focus less on excellent ABAP programming practices.

But it really depends on how you feel you will make the most progress approaching the system. Take a look at the approaches of each of the books (table of contents, etc.) and see what you think will work best for you.

Cheers,

Ethan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all of your comments/thoughts. I have many options to get started in my learning process now, which is what I was looking for.

Thank you,

Grant

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Also, there is a number of HTGs on this wiki page which show how to use the BPC BAdIs with example code. And to be very clear, there is no difference between the ABAP code written for BPC NW and any other ABAP code. It is all funciton modules, and classes. Nothing special here.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BPX/EnterprisePerformanceManagement%28EPM%29How-to+Guides

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found guides on how to call BADI from BPC and also a number of generic ABAP tutorials. To date I have not seen anything on how ABAP manipulates BPC data. Does it need to read and write to the underlying BW structures? If so does it use SQL or are there APIs. If for instance, we want to read all base descenednets of a dimension member, do we need to write recursive code to walk the chain? If we wnat to read a fact do we need to union reads from multiple fact tables?

Can someone provide some high level guidance please?

Thanks

Cliff

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cliff,

As almost everybody above already mentioned there is no difference in ABAP for BPC and for other parts of SAP, but there is a difference in what parts of the language and APIs you use, like you'd use different words talking about music and about data processing even though it's still same English.

Almost all of the data access in ABAP for BPC is API based. If you go to Package UJ (not DM Package) you should be able to see all of them. It's a ton. To navigate you should have some pretty good idea what area it belongs to.

So, answer to both your questions is NO. There is API for both of those.

I'd suggest importing one of the BADIs attached to HTGs, DAPP for example, and learn how it operates on data.

Hope this helps,

Gersh

federico_blarasin
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Grant,

I'll give you another title for ABAP and BW.

Dirk Herzog - ABAP Development for SAP NetWeaver BI u2013 User Exits and BAdIs

http://www.sap-press.com/products/ABAP-Development-for-SAP-NetWeaver-BI-%E2%80%93-User-Exits-and-BAd...

Unfortunately it doesn't cover the BPC topic (indeed there's a chapter for IP and BPS), but there are a lot of examples of OO programming and BAdI implementations. And it explains very clearly a lot of basic concepts.