Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a user name from already created Dimensions

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Need urgent help, As i need to change a user name from already created Dimensions.

As we knows normally it is taking the name of the user (who ever is logged in on the time of dimension creation).

Any hope ? As we want to give a generic name not particular user name.

Thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"need to change a user name from already created Dimensions" - please explain what do you mean?

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

If you are creating dimensions on that case it will log as well display the name of the user who has created this dimension, now we want to change the name of the user ..

Thanks

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but it's absolutely strange idea... You want to change audit information? What for?

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

Person has left the company and client do not want a name of the person who is not working in for the client ...

and more over we want to put generic name not a person related ...that will be good for all of us ...

Thanks..

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but the idea of audit trace is to keep actual things. The next time you decide to change user name who perform data entry, etc... It's a bad idea.

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I agree with Vadim. If next time something is wrong with that Dimension, how will you know who made that last change?

If that "generic" ID is created as user ID you have to develop some "out of BPC" procedure that tracks who has access to that ID. Than login with that ID and make changes. System will keep that ID as "last changed".

Regards,

Gersh

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Even i know these things that it is not good and all we already explained these things to the client..

but he is telling then put your name but not the person who left the organisation, they were asking that is it possible or not..,.and the problem is that we are also in confusion that how to do this to change the name..

Any help ?

Thanks

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simply tell the client that this is not possible And provide the option to recreate a dimension and cube for extra cost!

P.S. If you have a strange client then this client has to pay for strange requests

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

No Vadim,

That is not good idea as this attached with many report and many places again need to do much work with testing and off-course they are not going to pay again for the same thing..

I One of my mate told me it's possible that i why i put my question here to resolve ..

Because if i will tell that it is not possible and they from there tech panel if some one will do this this, On that case it will be not good for us ..

Any help or it is impossible ?

Thanks,

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Everything is possible, but I will not support audit falsification You can arrive to a bad place if you will go in this direction...

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Vadim, What user want to not display a one single person name ok  they want a generic name from our side and now your question is how to know that who has changed ? now on generic name they given name like Service provide name_Dim_change request id ..

so from that name they will let know that which company has changed the things ...

but do not want all of employee name who has created dimension. Even if i will crate a new model on that case also it will display my name but what they want to display is Service provide name_Dim_change request id . and i also think there is nothing wrong in this ..

Thanks 

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but this is a wrong idea! Please talk to security officer to understand basic security principles. The user id of the person who is doing changes has to be stored for audit. For sure you can create some impersonated user then logon to the system with this user and perform changes. But then you will have no security and no audit

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

P.S. Just imagine the case:

You have special user: MAINTENANCE and 5 consultants know the password of this user to perform dimension administration.

One of the consultants has deleted something incorrectly been logged as MAINTENANCE.

Question: Who is responsible for the issue?

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

No Vadim,

It is not like that here only one person is taking care for this and 2 companies were involve on the same project that is why client want a name of the vendor + Dim + Change request id

So that it will not display the name of the user but they will understand the vendor name in future and can able to ask the things ...if project will get hand over to other vendor. It is not that much serious situation.

More ever according to client vendor will responsible and ram, sham, mona, sona that kind of name should not come it's not looking good for them ... they are paying money for the project to vendor (my company), so the company should take responsibility  .

Thanks, 

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I can't help the company that do not understand the basic security rules! Absolutely incorrect approach!

And very funny they want to include request id in the user id

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

Leave it to update the name of already created dimension, Now Please tell that how to maintain a generic name while cratering a  new dimension ?

Thanks

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't use generic names!

If you don't want to show the real names of the persons - just use for the individual accounts id's like:

COMPANYNAME001

COMPANYNAME002

And the real names has to be entered in the user maintenance!

former_member187267
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

That's also looks good, but while creating dimensions we are getting the name of user automatically, As it's coming automatically, So here on your example I have 2 questions ..

1- How to get this

COMPANYNAME001

COMPANYNAME002

COMPANYNAME..  N

2-

On this case what is your idea means how you will let know that COMPANYNAME001 is which person and COMPANYNAME002 is which person ?

Thanks,

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like you don't understand me!

For each user of your company create a new user ID like COMPANYNAMExxx and with real user info (name, family name etc...). Configure required security settings.

Block all old accounts from your company! And users will now logon with COMPANYNAMExxx accounts and individual passwords.
Never reuse COMPANYNAMExxx accounts.

P.S. New accounts not in addition to existing but instead of existing!