cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does member formula store data in backend?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just for sure about this topic.

could anyone tell me exactly whether member formula store calucated result of base member in cube or table?

because i cannot see consisten specification about this in online help.

In my opnion, it should not since it should calculate again each time when refreshing.

Is it different in NW and MS enviorment ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The result of the dimension formula is not stored in the application. This behavior is the same in both MS and NW versions.

Basically, the application stores data for only those members which have the property CALC as N. CALC represents whether the member is calculated or not. Any member which is at a parent level or has a dimension formula is a calculated member and hence its CALC is Y. Thus, the values for these members are not stored in the application.

These members are calculated at the runtime, every time the templates are refreshed.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems i still have new stuff to find out.

According to your explanation, if I define hierarchy for one dimension, each parent node will be set CALC = Y automatically during processing dimension?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, the parent members will automatically have CALC = Y. This is set automatically by the system.

If you have noticed, you will never be able to post any data to the parent members. The input schedule will throw an error. This is due to the fact that it has CALC = Y.

The parent members should get the value by rolling up the values of its children.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clear, thanks.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190501
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Member formulas are on fly calculation during report execution. No values will be stored in data base for these members.

Thanks,

Raju