cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the WBS element name after charges have hit it? Or do I need to reverse charges first?

0 Kudos

Finance has blindly set up our new acquisition assets under the incorrect WBS element names. The charges have hit it already. I am wondering if I can just change the WBS element names. Or do I need to reverse these charges on these WBS elements and rebook them after I change the names?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor

Hi,

WBS table has internal key as a primary index and that allows the WBS code change.

The business transaction is called Change WBS number and it is controlled by system/user statuses.

I would not recommend doing it in a late phase of project lifecycle as it can be very confusing, but for a newly created project it can be done safely.

Just note that there can be many other restrictions, like a coding mask rules and validations, so not always possible.

Regards,

Paulo

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe you refer to WBS codes and not 'names' a.k.a. 'descriptions'. Because, if those are just descriptions, of course, you can change them. But, if you speak of WBS codes, changing them would mean either internal transfer (allocation) or reversal and reposting.

Regards,

Eli

P.S. As Paulo mentioned below, technically, codes can be changed, but there could be a functional impact.