cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC - Multiple Dimensions in Row Expansion - NOEXPAND issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an EVDRE report in BPC where I am expanding on two different dimensions in the row (Entity, Geography). I want the Entity Dimension to dynamically expand. However, I want the Geography dimension to be static so I am using a NOEXPAND. The issue I am having is that now Entity won't expand when I change my CV.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Thanks.

-Keith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith Strait,

Do you want your row expansion to somehow look like these? Wherein Geography is based on your EVPRO property?

Entity 1 Geography 1

Entity 1 Geography 2

Entity 2 Geography 3

When you say that Geography is dependent upon Entity does this means that there can be many Geography under an Entity? If that's the case it would be easier if you would add the names of the ENTITY as property of the Geography dimension and then put a "Y" on all the Geography that falls on each Entity name property. Then on your memberset on your Row Expansion under Geography dimension use this code: =EVCVW(AppName,ENTITY)&"=Y" -->under Geography dimension your memberset will somehow look like these: ID_OF_ENTITY=Y so it will retrieve only the Geography where the ID of the entity that you add as property is marked "Y". So everytime your change your EVCVW for Entity, your memberset will also change and the filter for each Geography under each Entity will follow.

Hope this helps,

Marvin Santos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marvin,

Thanks for the response. Let me start by saying the opposite is true. There can be many entities under one geography which is why I made the Geography a property of Entity so I think we are ok there.

I think I am still a little unclear how that code you provided will only give the Geography that is associated with a particular Entity on the Row Key.

Let me explain:

Ihave an Entity Dimension [E1, E2, E3] and a Geography Dimension [G1, G2]. I also have a property in the Entity Dimension that tells me which GEO_ID each Entity belongs to (i.e. E1->G1, E2->G1, E3->G2).

If I have an input schedule with static rows, I can use an EVPRO in the second column of the row key to pull out the proper Geography key. However if I have a dynamic row expansion I will get the following:

E1, G1

E1, G2

E2, G1

E2, G2

E3, G1

E3, G2

But what I really want is just

E1, G1

E2, G1

E3, G2

Because those are the proper mappings. Does this make more sense? Is there a way to accomplish this dynamically? The only way I have been able to do it thus far is by use a cell key range In which I take out geography from the row expansion and use an EVPRO in the cell key range to provide the proper Geography ID.

Thanks for the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

I don't think it's not possible to generate row key id's using the EVPRO if you have a dynamic row expansion. What you can do is to use the GEO_ID property you've added. For example:

-

G1-G2-G3---G4

E1--

Y--

Y

E2--

Y--

Y

E3--

Y---Y

E4--

Y--

Y

E5--

Y---Y

If this is how you set up your GEO_ID property in your Entity Dimension wherein under a GEO_ID you marked the Entities under it with "Y" on your template use Entity as dimension on your Row expansion and use this as your memberset: =EVCVW(AppName,GeographyDim)&"=Y" so for example, your current Geography in your view is G2, your memberset will become: G2=Y thus creating a filter for all the Entities with a value of "Y" under G2 property. Then if you switch change your current Geography view to G3, your memberset will be: G3=Y thus changing your filter for all the Entities with a value of "Y" under G3 property and so on.

Regards,

Marvin Santos

Edited by: Marvin Santos on Jun 10, 2009 3:45 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will there be any additional responses to this issue now that it's been moved to the Expert forum?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

Why not just try to use SUPPRESS? Since your Entities are properly mapped to a particular Geography, when you use suppress even though it will show you all the possible combination of Entity to Geography when you expand both Entity and Geography, it will show only the combination with values, that I assume is based on how you mapped those two dimensions. That way you could achieve your expansion "dynamically".

Example:

E1, G1-->with data since mapped

E1, G2-->no data

E2, G1-->with data since mapped

E2, G2-->no data

E3, G1-->no data

E3, G2-->with data since mapped

so when your expand and suppress it will leave you:

E1, G1++

E2, G1++

E3, G2++

Hope this helps,

Marvin Santos

Edited by: Marvin Santos on Jun 17, 2009 5:29 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Marvin,

That is a simple but very good answer. For Reports (not schedules) your solution should work most of the time. Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Keith,

for your Geogrophy rows..if you click on them..you see a EVCVW () formula in the formula section of your excel telling you that it is being pulled from current view...remove that and hard code the VALUE of the EVCVW()...

you shld be good to go...dont use NOEXPAND

The geography Dim will not expand...Where as ENtity still would

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vishal,

Your solution does prevent the geography dimension from expanding but it doesn't quite solve my issue. Let me explain further. The reason I don't want Geography to expand is because it is dependent upon Entity. I have a Property in the Entity dimension named "GEO_ID" which I want to pull using an EVPRO in the RowKey. This way my input schedule will save data to the appropriate Entity and Geography dimensions for each row.

And in case you are wondering why I have two dimensions if they are dependant on each other, it's because it's only true some of the time and some of the time they aren't. I need the ability to run reports by geography and entity therefore I needed separate dimensions.

When I read through some EVDRE documentation I had, the NOEXPAND made it seem like I could apply that to one dimension and instead of expanding, it would copy down either text or a formula. In my case, I was hoping to copy down the EVPRO. Do you know a solution to my problem?

Thanks again for all the help!