cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding additional entity hierarchy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When trying to add a fourth entity hierarchy in BPC v7 I get the following message:

"Errors in the metadata manager. The process type specified for the entity dimension is not valid since it is not processed".

This message is received while trying to process the entity dimension. It stops at step 4 of 5 of the processing. Prior to this attempt I was getting an error message saying that I exceeded the 8060 byte per row limit of SQL so eliminated some property members. I am not sure how the 8060 is calculated.

Thanks for the help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. One additional question. What is considered a level? Is it each hierachy? I have many levels within the hierarcies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

By level, I mean the number of levels in each hierarchy.

Best practice would be to reduce the number of properties with inapp selected. Keep only those inapp selected, which are used in logics. The other properties are not required to be selected as inapp.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you,

Unclicking the inapp worked.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you are creating dimensions for your application set you should be aware of the following maximums for any one dimension.

u2022 The maximum number of fields in a table (a dimension = 1 table) is 1024.

u2022 The maximum record size is 8064 bytes (a record = 1 row in a table)

The two maximums above relate to the underlying SQL database in which BPC information and data is stored. They need further explanation as to how they relate to a BPC dimension. In BPC a field equals a property. So you can have up to 1024 properties in a dimension. One other factor that has an impact on the actual number of properties you can have in a dimension is the number of levels you have defined.

SQL Server creates a set of properties for each level within the dimension. For example, you have 10 properties and three levels in your dimension, your total number of fields is 30. The second limiting factor is the size of the record. To determine record size you have to figure out the number of bytes (a byte equals a character) in each level. Since levels are repeated you only need to figure out the number of bytes in the first level and then multiply that number by the number of levels. To come up with the total number of bytes for a level you simply add up the field size for each field and multiply it by 2.

Hope this helps you.