cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whatu2019s the use of change number?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please someone answer !

Once necessary settings are done in OS 54 changes can be tracked with or without change number so whatu2019s the use of change number?

For material or BOM , history documents are created even if I didnt use change number so what is significance of using change number while changing material or BOM ?

Neal .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Change no is useful when you implement the ECM

(Engineering change Managment). Through Change Number you can control further activity(Edit/addition/deletion) of material / BOM.

Regards,

Ajay Nikte.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay ,

I am clear about ECM . But, If I have created material with change number, I can change it with or without change number and system will still document the changes before and after the changes. I want to know the use of change number .

former_member335796
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope below link may be useful in this context..

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sir ,

Do you want to direct me to the thread posted by Anand Joshi ? He wants to know how to make change number compulsory and I want to know use of change number .

there is some problem with this website as it shows me new pages everytime I click the link .

Hope you have gone through my question carefully , when ECM is active system documents the changes with or without change number , so whats the use of change number ???

former_member335796
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neal,

I appreciate your concern.

I know you are intersed in Revision Level, Change Number, ECM etc..

Which you have already implemented or going to implement..

If you have implemented/going to implement ECM, without the Change number mandatory, it will not be effective. (This is with reference to this Thread and one of your last thread also which I tried to address).

It is recommended to use the Change Number mandatory for all the changes because of lots of advantages associated with this..

I thaught in this contact also my earlier post with the Link might be useful..

But never guessed that it will hurt you like any thing.

But one thing I can say is I never posted any junk in this forum.

I am really sorry that I did not gone through your question word to word and most importantly tried to suggest some thing which is of useless to you. I will definetly resist the temptation to help the other forum members also..

Very sorry..

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neal,

Let me give you one scenario. In BOM all components are valid until 12/31/9999 if you noticed. Now with the use of ECM, you can implement like a phase in phase out scenario. Ex. BOX1 is to be phased out and BOX2 should be used starting on 08/01/2008. Now to do this, you create an ECR number with a valid from date 08/01/2008. Then change the BOM using the ECR number, then replace BOX1 with BOX2. Whenever you display the BOM before 08/01/2008, youll see BOX1. If BOM is displayed on or after 08/01/2008, you wont see BOX1 but BOX2 instead. This works with which to explode on certain key dates.

this kind of scenario is only possible when you use ECM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Siva Sir ,

First of all I did not get upset by your last answer but I just wanted to clear my question so that without wastage of time my question will be answered. I respect all gurus and donu2019t want to hurt anybody. Thanks for your help!

Can you please explain me why, we need to make change number compulsory? Apart from recording and documenting change (for BOM, task list and Material), is there any other purpose of using change number???

I know one use of ECM that is for documenting change before and after changing master data.( that can be done without change number also ) Please explain me that other usages of change number with example .

Neal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Guess you are talking about ECR that we create in CC31 right? In which if we create change number with release key it will not become effective immediately. Then it has to go through status change to release the ECR to ECO.

So , once you convert ECR to ECO the change will become effective .

But , My question was based on change number created by CC01 . What is the use of change number?

Neal

Edited by: Neal Gibson on Jun 16, 2008 4:58 PM

Edited by: Neal Gibson on Jun 16, 2008 4:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any answers ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neal,

Im also talking about CC01. ECR converted to ECO i meant, sorry. So you use ECO to put effectivities on certain BOM items. Example, you created an ECR valid from Aug 1 2008, converted it to ECO. And using the change number in the BOM, all changes done will be valid only on that date (Aug 1, 2008), specifically the scenario that I was talking about (Phase Out Phase In)

So as you can see, ECM is not only useful for tracking changes. As I've said, you can't implement this kind of scenario without using the ECM.

Thanks

Edited by: Kumar on Jun 17, 2008 8:20 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

I am again confused , If we create change number in CC01 then it is not ECR right ? You create ECR through CC31 and that will later converted to ECO .

I think , Any master data created and changed with Change number becomes effective immediately . This is not the case with ECR , if we create ECR with release key then only the scenario you are talking about is possible .

In the scenario you are talking about (phase in u2013out) we can have another BOM having validity 1st Aug 2008 ( Valid from date ) so that It will become effective on 1 st Aug . Then why change number ?

Can you please explain me in detail ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus , why no answer ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus , why no answer ???

Edited by: Neal Gibson on Jun 20, 2008 3:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus , Somebody please answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus , Somebody please answer.

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Neal,

Suppose that you want to use Xmass gift packing for your materail up the end of December, but from January you want to replace the Xmass packing with your ordinary packing materail. It can be done by using change no in bill of materail on dated 01jan Xmass packing materail will be replaced by ordinary materail. Such type of scenario is planned by using ECM with change no which is also use in history documention also.

Hope it is clear to you.

Regards

R.Brahmankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sir ,

If I am not mistaken, ECM is for recording changes. If I have created material with change number, I can change it without change number and system will still document the changes before and after the changes. I want to know the use of change number .

In your case you want to change your BOM in Jan ., Just like schedule material by MM12 right ? Something like for certain period one BOM and then another BOM for new period . How do I use the Change number for this ? Should I use two different numbers for two BOMs ? I guess for one of the BOM I will have to schedule valid from date in the change number for JAN by using schedule button in CC02 , right ?

But , instead of using change number I can simply create new BOM with valid from date 1 st JAN

I am still not clear about Change number .