cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the impact on adding decimal places in CUNI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Guru's

Currently our client is running SAP for last 7 years now we got requirement to change the decimal places in CUNI to 3 . Can you please let me know is there any impact on the same to finanace and any other module. I reffered SAP note 931971 & talked to some of people all are suggesting not to change this setting as this is global one and it may impact some where. So please help me if we can change the decimal places to 3 or not.

Regards

Mahesh M J

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It looks here are 2 things mixed up

CUNI is about unit of measures,

the links and screen shots given are related to currency settings.

in CUNI you can only define how the decimals are presented to the user, but stored in tables is always with 3 decimals.

from OSS note 23771:

.......inventory management is always carried out in base unit of measure and quantities are managed with exactly 3 places behind the decimal point........

Hence a change does technically not really change much, it may uncover decimals which were unknown because you never saw them before, but SAP always had them in the table if the user posted fractions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for the information. We are trying to change the decimal places for SI unit i.e. KG. (from 0 to 3)Is it suggestible to change at this point of time as the client is using SAP for past 7 years.

Regards

Mahesh M J

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot tell you whether it is advisable or not as I do not know the specifc background why you consider doing it.

But I can tell you that we have done this change a few years ago, as well in the system which was running for several years, and it had certainly not harmed any process. Of course it is confusing the one or other right after the change, as he/she sees decimals where there have not been any before. And people who are just reading superficial may think it is a 1000 times higher quantity. A good communication should keep this experience low.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Requirement is , in all stock reports user wants to see quantity figure 45 as 45.000. Doubt what we had is since its SI unit it may harm in any other module especially in FI. Thanks for your response.

Regards

Mahesh M J

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

....some like it uniform..

Like I said, it can be done without any harm.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Since KG is a SI unit and it can split upto 3 decimals (.001kg--> 1g), I don't think it's required to maintain separately in CUNI as SAP supports SI units.

Rgds,

Kamangi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

if you change in cuni you face with some problem.it is for first implement in sap.

Best Regrads

Ramin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

this link is helpful

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3381946

Best Regards

Ramin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ramin,

Thank you so much for your reply. It will be helpful for me if you can highlight on problems after changing the decimal point.

Regards

Mahesh M J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It will affect all previous data, as when we change decimal with transaction OY04 system alarm some text:

In a productive system, you

must not delete the

currencies in use or change the

decimal places.

This could make amounts in

documents already posted

incorrect or invalid.

after continue system get alarm again

Best Regards