cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from SAP R/3 4.6C to SAP ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Our organisation has been running SAP R/3 4.6C on Solaris 8 with Oracle 8i database. We are considering an upgrade to SAP ECC 6.0.

I have already checked the SAP Marketplace (Product Availability Matrix) and found that SAP R/3 4.6C first needs to be upgraded to mySAP ERP 2004 (SAP ECC 5.0) and then from SAP ECC 5.0 to SAP ECC 6.0.

My first question is whether I am on the right track.

Secondly, I was going through various SAP Upgrade strategies and curious to know the difference between technical upgrade and functional upgrade.

Please correct me if I am wrong - technical upgrade is when you technically upgrading the SAP ECC release from 4.6C to 5.0 (that is, upgrading Operating System, Database and ECC).

Once it has been completed, business processes (functional modules) need to be remapped. The development needs to be reworked upon (Modification Adjustment). This is what is known as functional upgrade.

I would appreciate if someone throws some light on my understanding on this subject.

Regards.

Wolfgang.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check with below link

Regards,

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Go through below links you will get info on sap upgrade

Regards

Raj

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our organisation has been running SAP R/3 4.6C on Solaris 8 with Oracle 8i database. We are considering an upgrade to SAP ECC 6.0.

Oh.. you're aware of the fact, that Oracle 8 as well as Solaris 8 is out of support?

I would do it like (if you need/want to stay on the same hardware):

- upgrade Oracle 8 (I hope your run 8.1.7.4) to Oracle 9.2.0.8

- upgrade Solaris 8 to Solaris 10

- upgrade Oracle 9.2.0.8 to Oracle 10.2.0.4 + latest interim patches

- use kernel 46D_EX2

- upgrade the 4.6c to ERP 6.0

Be aware, that, if you plan to use Java applications (such as the Enterprise Portal or other Netweaer related appliation), the ERP 6.0 must be converted to Unicode.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can directly upgrade to 6.0 version.

reg technical and functional upgrade.

tech: remediating the objects according to new version execution ex:syntax errors etc.

fun: making the applications to run as bussiness process desire, it is also part of techincal thing,

to run as required, doing modifications to the objects.

Thanks

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No need to upgrade to ECC5.0 directly it can be upgraded to ECC6.0.

Technical upgrade is nothing but after upgrading system to ECC6.0 with all the SAP provided objects and remediating the objects according to upgraded system.

Thank U,

Jay....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang

Go through below links you will get info regarding SAP upgrade

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/erp6/sapERP6.0+Upgrade SAP ERP 6.0 Upgrade

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/60/d6ba7bceda11d1953a0000e82de14a/frameset.htm SAP ERP 6.0 Upgrade SPAU SPDD

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/erp6/transactionsChangedinECC6.0 Transactions Changed in ECC 6.0

Thanks and Regards.

Syf