cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring data to excel truncates data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to transfer some data (stock transfer draft) to excel format. However when doing this, the numeric fields are incorrectly transferred to excel. For example, if we have in the system field "Quantity" the value:

1,000.0000 (one thousand)

then that value is transfered to excel:

1 (one)

Do you know how could be this avoided?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a big complaint I have with the flat file choices for importing data to DTW. When using Excel, if you aren't vigilant about your formats, text fields that look numeric and have leading zeros are chopped. Long strings, like international phone numbers, show up in E notation.

Also, delimiter choices should be expanded. A lot of data I need to import has embedded commas. Some 'remarks' type fields even have embedded semicolons. I have been working with ODBC connections rather than flat files for these reasons. That's my workaround, but hardly any of my clients will be able to use it when they import their own data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, one must be carefull when importing data with DTW.

My workaround it is to work in excel (xls extension), then select the data and copy to txt. Then I choose in DTW tab delimiter with the txt file.

This has worked fine for me.

Regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One thought is to make sure that when you're opening the file in Excel, not to choose comma as a delimiter. Use the default of tab.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you know if Excel itself allows to set that parameter?

I have not found it, at least.