Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

service master and material type 'service'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody.

I am a bit confused about "Service"

There is a service master that we can use to store and procure service.

Also we can use material master to store 'service' using material type 'service' and procure service in that way.

I want to know what is the difference between the two ? When shall I use what ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Material master with material type DIEN is called service material master & it is used to sell the services.

Service master which is a part of External service management is used to buy services.

Thanks,

Manish

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish. That solves my problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks both of you. One last question.

Is there any disadvantage of taking the External Service Management route ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ST

It is the better option. You can monitor service entry and do acceptance there using External service management.

Hope this helps.

regards

Anand.C

Message was edited by:

Anand Chidambaram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

But could you tell me in which business scenario I should procure through 'service master' and in which cenario i should use 'DIEN' ?

while selling a service , can I use a 'service master' ?

While using a service for internal maintenance order, should I use 'service master' or 'material master with material type service (DIEN)' ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ST,

You need to have a service master created if that particular services has a series of services specs which must be followed during service entry.. Eg. if u need to service a machine then u need to have a procedure by checking for components, check oil, grease etc. so this steps can be defined in your service master. Then u check whether those services are performed or not during service entry. But in other case u dont need to do such things. You perform a goods receipt for that as mentioned by Ramki.

Hope this helps.

regards

Anand.C

Ramki
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think we should avoid confusion for users.

If you are going to use External services management (item category D in purchasing), use it always. You can maintain service master (you can also use the scenario w/o service master -- with free text in service lines ). Do not bother about service materials master in this case.

If you are not using external services mgmt , use service materials.

Best regards

Ramki

Ramki
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you do not want to use 'External Service Management', you can use materials of type Service (DIEN).

This will be similar to any other account assigned material PO with free text. Instead of using free text, you are using material master and also helps you in identifyign service purchases from other material purchases. You will not use item category 'D' in this case. You do GR here.

Service masters are used when you use item category 'D' ('External Service Management'). There are additional flexibility of defining service specifications, service outlines, using service entry sheet etc here.

Best regards

Ramki