cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Upgrade with virtual hostnames

Former Member
0 Kudos

has anyone completed an upgrade using virtual hostnames? i have my db on server1 and ci on server2 - basically an active/active failover HA.

when i go to do an upgrade and the prepare wants hostnames.. do i put my vurtual name? do i have to change my system to use non-virtual names first?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

I've got a active/passive HA setup and I've used the virtual name in my upgrade with no problems.

Cheng

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member217765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Maybe it is a sap insternal wiki page. I extracted the contents in this wiki page as the following:

Name of the instance profile file

The name of the instance profile file follows following pattern:

<SID>_<INSTANCE_NAME+NUMBER>_<HOSTNAME>

An installation with virtual hostname creates the profile file name according to this pattern using the virtual hostname e.g.: <SID>_<INSTANCE_NAME+NUMBER>_virtualhostname2.

One customer use case is to install a system in a non virtual setup. In a later point in time customers enable the system to run it in a virtual enviornment, but the profile name is not adjusted.

The only way to get the hostname (virtual or not) of an instance is to use the sappfpar with the corresponding instance profile:

sappfpar pf=<INSTANCE_PROFILE_FILE> SAPLOCALHOST

All other ways can lead into unexpected behaviour of any procedure.

To test this customer scenario, the recommandation is to rename the profile to a name without the virtual hostname.

details steps to change the profile name (on windows)

Uninstall the service which used the profile

Change the in the profile the parameter _PF to the new profile name

Reinstall the service with the new profile

details steps to change the profile name (on unix)

adjust /usr/sap/sapservices files to new profile names

details steps to change the profile name (on unix)

adjust /usr/sap/sapservices files to new profile names

at a glance

For systems with a START and INSTANCE profle, adjust both profiles!

So rename <SID>_SCS<XX>_virtualhostname1 of SCS instance to <SID>_SCS<XX>_realhostname.

rename <SID>_DVEBMGS<XX>_virtualhostname2 of CI instance to <SID>_DVEBMGS<XX>_realhostname.

rename ASCS <SID>_ASCS<XX>_virtualhostname1of ASCS instance to <SID>_ASCS<XX>_realhostname.

Also you should make sure the parameter SAPGLOBALHOST in CI profile to be virtualhostname1, and SAPLOCALHOST in DI profile to be realhostname.

With Best Regards

Julia

former_member217765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Sorry. Please refer ot the link:

_https://wiki.wdf.sap.corp/wiki/display/AlwaysOn/SimulatedFailoverScenario+%28SFS%29

Regards

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do appreciate your help and the doc sounds like something I need.. unfortunately i still cannot open.

former_member217765
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Yes, it is better to change the virtual hostname to physical hostname for sap profiles.

For details, please refer to the following wike page:

https://wiki.wdf.sap.corp/wiki/display/AlwaysOn/SimulatedFailoverScenario%2B%2528sfs%2529

With Best Regards

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

i cannot seem to get the link to work...can you check?