Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HCM P&F FPM - Search Help for Drop down list box

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Greetings!

I have created an FPM based HCM form.  Taking reference of theblog, i have created two fields (as part of my requirement) where i have to populate the City field based on State field.

For State field, i have written a method which populates the search help.  When i select an entry, it immediately triggers an error though the selected entry is from the dropdown list only.

when i select any entry from the dropdown, the following screen appears with error 'The entered value is not on the list of valid values'

thus ending up with an error and the F4 search for next field (based on entry in this field) is not possible.

Please help.

Regards,

Shankar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bruno_correia
Explorer

Hi Shankar,

I have had this exact issue in the past and the problem is that the data element for your drop down list field defined in GET_FIELD_INFO does not match what you have defined in the GET_HELP_VALUES method.

Please check these and make sure the data you are populating into the drop down list is compatible with your field definition.

Thanks, Bruno

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Bruno,

Greetings!

Thats really helpful.  Earlier, i didnt code GET_FIELD_INFO method (just implemented and left blank).  Now, i have declared my field values in the same way as it is in GET_HELP_VALUES method and the issue is solved.

Now, my user event is triggered and the dependent field is cleared.  Both Drop down list and Input Field with search help are behaving in the same way.

Thanks a ton for your solution.

Regards,

Shankar.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good catch! Yep...help values are REAL picky about how you define the matching column data elements in your help dataset. This one got me MANY times in my early HCM P&F days! Since then, I wrote a really nice class to "build" my help lists that makes sure they are all in-sync.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Greetings!

To my surprise, i have this error only when an FPM event ID is assigned to the the first drop down list.  (action event id is either USER_EVENT_CHECK, USER_EVENT_INITIALIZE or any other custom user event).

If we dont assign any action to the first drop down, then the values in the dependent drop down (second one) are not displayed.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shankar

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Please suggest on this.

Regards,

Shankar

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A few things...

1. is your "help values" method populating the drop-down? You could do it in "initialization" and/or "do operations" but just making sure.

2. when you event "fires", can you see/read it in your "do operations"?

3. are you sure you assigned these fields (values) in your "user event" configuration for "field group" (ie. checked the box for the form fields so they get passed on the event)?   *** I am guessing you might not have done this as it is easy/common to miss ****

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear

1. Yes. In HELP_VALUES i am able to see the values being populated. (as you see in the first screenshot, i have both the help values populated from this method).

2. I doubt this point, when i attempt to select the value from the dropdown list, my user event is not triggered.  (though i have assigned my user event to the field in the form).

3.  Fields are assigned to the Field group (with respect to the user event).

Please find below all the screenshots for code, assignment of user event to the form field.

Please suggest.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And on your form (in FLUID), you DID assign your event to the dropdown (onSelect action)?

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

oh wait..I see it now...sorry....just waking up and having my coffee while reading this. haha

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear,

As you have noticed in the screenshot above, the dropdown is assigned with the event (onSelect action).  I have followed almost every point as you mentioned in your blog, but unfortunately i couldnt figureout what went wrong.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shankar

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Instead of 'Drop Down list values', if i make the field as 'Input Field' with F4 help in the same way (using methods), i am able to get it correctly.

In that case, only one issue is Dependent field value is not cleared, if i change the value in the first field.

for Example: first field - ABC, DEF are possible values;

dependent field values are PQR if first field is ABC & XYZ if first field is DEF.

Lets say, first i select ABC in the first field and PQR in the dependent field.  But, then i thought to change the first field value to DEF.  in this case, as change the first field value, dependent field value remains same (uncleared).

Except this clearing issue, i am able to achieve functionality with F4 help instead of Drop Down list.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shankar

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very strange....they should work the same (ie. input with F4 vs. drop down with help list). As for clearing, you need to do this yourself in your "do operations" as an event on your input/drop down control. The "get help values" method always gets called after "do operations", so you can repopulate your dependent help list based on the values of the "parent" one.

I do this quite a lot on Pay Scale drop downs....type,area,group and level since each one depends on the previous (cascades). It is pretty easy once you know what all is going on and where you need to handle things.

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Christopher,

Greetings!

You are right.  It is pretty easy and i did the same too.  I have handled clearing the dependent field in an user event call in Do Operations method, but though field value in service data sets is cleared, it is not cleared on the screen.

Little surprising, but it is behaving this way.

Regards,

Shankar

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Something sounds really disconnected. That is odd.

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Christopher,

Greetings!

Something is really ODD.  My User Event is not triggered.  I couldnt read it in DO OPERATIONS method where i am clearing the dependent field value.  But still my F4 help is being populated based on the value in the parent field.

I have assigned User event for the parent field.  I have assigned both this parent and dependent fields to the user event.

Still, some disconnection is still there.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shankar