Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returnables packaging

oluwatosin_oladipo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Is it possible to use a returnable packaging material as a packing material and still be able to trace the returnable material against the customer. Like say i sell milk in crates; crates is the returnable packaging material, Can i create a sales order for only milk and using the pack function in delivery, pack milk into crates, and still be able to trace stock of the returnables using mb58?

If not, what is the best approachh?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oluwatosin,

From my understanding, the objective / goal is to keep track of

- stock / inventory of packaging material (e.g. Crates).

- how many crates have been delivered per Customer

- And in the sales process, not have the Crates priced.

In the sales order, with BOM functionality, user can enter quantity of Milk, and system automatically populates the number of crates.

Thus both Milk and Crates need to be created as material master records.

In item category settings (for crates) pricing can be made not applicable.

Then during the return process, the RE orders can be made with only the Crates.

This way the returned crates can be placed back in the stock of the company (depending upon movement type, the returned stock would be placed in Unrestricted or QI etc.)

Side comment: If in the business process; the number of crates can be determined during the sales order stage, then why try to include the crates in the delivery stage?

In my opinion pack functionality is also not required.

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Whatever OP person asked his Requirement , have you done ever like that type of requirement ( with BOM Functionality ) in your Experience  ?

Note : I thought ,its not suitable for his requirement .

If you have any doubts please  let me know.

Thanks,

Naren

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Narendra,

Yes, I have done so in the past!

Furthermore, in the document provided by Eduardo; SAP too suggests the same:

Please read below (marked in bold)

During

sales order processing, you simply enter the returnable packaging as an item in your order. You

can process returnable packaging either as main items or as sub-items. For example, if you sell

drinks in bottles and want the empty bottles to be returned, you can enter the bottles as subitems for the drinks in the sales order.

Rather than just commenting

"it is not suitable solution"

Please justify / elaborate, this way maybe it would benefit the OP & the members could learn something.

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

if you sell

drinks in bottles and want the empty bottles to be returned, you can enter the bottles as subitems for the drinks in the sales order.

When you create BOM with Main and Sub Item in sales order  then what about in Return Order ( Is this transaction with only sub Item ,If yes ,what about Main Item and what about Re order of Price ) ?

Note : Clarity is important on this .

How did you do / accomplish this in SAP ?

Thanks,

Naren

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Narendra,

Please read my previous post. That describes the processes suggested.

E.g.

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Can you comment on above sentence in detail ?

Note : 1. You have created BOM in VA01 but in RE order only doing Creates ,what does it mean ? Can we call it as BOM ?

2. you are thinking so as first post as having total info but I think so it dosnt have content for solving issue .

If you have any doubts please let me know .

Thanks,

Naren

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sarthak_mohantysd
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Oluwatosin Oladipo wrote:

Hello All,

Is it possible to use a returnable packaging material as a packing material and still be able to trace the returnable material against the customer. Like say i sell milk in crates; crates is the returnable packaging material, Can i create a sales order for only milk and using the pack function in delivery, pack milk into crates, and still be able to trace stock of the returnables using mb58?

If not, what is the best approachh?

Please refer the below steps for the Returnable Packaging scenario :-

1: You can create a Identification number of packing instruction, You must be aware that this is the place in SAP system where you define What is the Material (Milk) to be Packed and What Quantity.., then what is the Packaging Material(Crates) and Quantity as well..., Unit of Measure, Load carrier.

2: You define Packaging Instruction Determination Rule, for standard outbound delivery...you can use standard condition type as SHIP (Outbound scenario). For the specific Material Milk, you can define Packing instruction which would be preferred by the system.

Thanks,

Sarthak

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Check this printfile by SAP http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/SDSLS/SDSLS.pdf in page 'returnable packaging' (page 227 to 233).

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eduardo,

In the SAP document, the following is given:

As a

result of entering returnable packaging in a sales order, the system carries out the following

actions:

If special stock does not yet exist in your inventory for the customer (or special stock

partner), the system creates it when goods issue is posted

The relevant quantity is removed from regular inventory in your plant and is added to the

special stock for the customer.

Can you please explain which setting in SAP is "responsible" for "adding" the quantity in to special stock?

In VOV7, for item category TAL, the field Special Stock = blank.

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

T W,

I hope I understand you, if I am in a a mistake, please let me know

You have also the item category LNN

1. Settings for special stock partner (page 227). Document suggests to do the settings described for consignment stock

2. In item category assignment, check the entries for item category group for mat.master (check the settings also for SO LN, LA, and so on)

3. Check the detemination of schedule (the system use E3, ie, movement 621 during the PGI for delivery). Check also schedule C3 (mov 623)

It's a long time since I did it, but I remember system create a the item, manage the stocks with SO type LA and LR (stock partner). After with pricing and so on you can invoice the non-returned packaging (or zero value if you want control it).

I remember this chapter as an anchor if I have to do it again, because it's an unusual flow

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eduardo,

Thanks for your post!

Let me read the details (of your post) and test in IDES.

If there are any comments, I shall convey them to you.