cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching Serial Numbers for MTO Production

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I work for a make-to-order manufacturing company.  We currently use Project Systems and PP for production.  We use the Project Definition + WBS Element as the serial number of our finished, sellable product (FERT).

I am trying to investigate using SAP serial number feature instead, but everything I am reading (SAP Help Files) seems more geared toward mass-production.  Can anyone direct me to some information on a MTO scenario for serial numbering?

Thanks very much!

Timothy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

If you want to track the serial number right from sales order to Delivery then use the below config in serial number profile. With the below config during sales order creation serial number can be maintained for the material. Then after Project MRP MD51 planned orders gets converted to production orders. Serial number maintained in sales order gets copied to production order. After confirmation of order and during GR againts the order same serial numbers gets copied. Again delivery can be done with same serial numbers.

Create Profile in OIS2 and maintain the same in material master workscheduling view and do testing.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramagiri

former_member184666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

Also refer http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27994

Thanks & Regards,

Ramagiri

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Timothy and the others,

I am running family company that also produce our products in make-to-order style.

We are manufacturing safes (vaults) and we need to observe serial numbers in the middle of production (when body of safes are welded together) in order to produce them as customer requires.

We have SAP Business ONE 9.1 and we have outsourced company to manage SAP for us. We know how to change only the little in system including layouts.

SAP has been implementing here since January 2015 and should be done in August maybe, but even now I am little bit frustrated from the way how they set the serial numbers. We have sales order where we put certain product, which need serial numbers. Then production order is made and in that time, serial number is created - list with all parameters and serial number is printed to production, when safe is manufactured.

In this moment, I would required (and it seems to be regular for me), that when it is finished, it goes on stock, with this serial number. And from stock it will leave our factory on delivery note with the same serial number.

But they are telling us, that the serial number created in production order is only "number" and when prodcut is done, we have to assign the real number (the same as generated) while bringing the product on stock.  Then when making delivery, we have to choose that serial number again.

I bought ERP to save work, but this makes me silly.

Could you please anybody tell me, if I am wrong or the implementing company has weak experiences?

Thank you very much

Regards

Jakub

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramagiri & Jatin,

Thank you both for your help.  I will investigate further.

Jatin - we actually do perform delivery from project (CNS0).  Our business process is something like...

1. Receive PO from customer
  2. Create Sales Order - here we have a customization.  We re-use a special material on every sales order, which creates a project with the same number as the sales order when you save the SO.
  3. Release project
  4. Engineering
  5. Procurement
  6. Production (PP)
  7. Delivery from project.

So everywhere throughout all of the process we use the Project WBS Element to identify the order.

Timothy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

You have Project+WBS element as serial number. I guess you are delivering multiple finished goods from single project ( that's why WBS is added to Project) . There is no need for serial number in any process until delivery... Essentially serial numbers come to effect when FG stock is created, so if you are doing PP order-Finished goods receipt , then that's point to create Serial numbers. If you are not doing PP orders & directly producing on WBS , then you should create at CNS0.

Hope this helps,

Jatin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

Serial number functionality is more applicable to MTO. In typical Mass production (Make to stock ) PP implementation , Batch management will be sufficient to identify if there is any quality issue for finished goods. But most MTO PP implementation would require Serial number functionality as you will need to track it for warranty( What has been revsion level for FG) .

You are using Project+WBS number as serial number which measn you have to use external serial numbers.  There are user exist available to configure Serial number suffix. Projects have Project ID which can be Serial number suffix.

There is possibility of doing Delivery from Project( Not very commonly used) , but if you need to generate serial numbers for each project delivered, you need to create DO from project & assign serial number (First time in system). This is because Projects are compleleted without any FG number assigned anywhere in header & Project package is delivered & it don't have stock functionality.

Hope it helps,

Jatin