cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing an existing cost center with another

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was asked to change a cost center which is active and which was used for all the activities so far , to a new one. I shall expalin in detail.

One user perfored physical inventory and when she posted the difference the postings were made to a cost center which was attached to the respective G/L account. this link was made in T.Code OKB9.

Now the key user found that the cost center to which the postings were made is no longer active and they asked me to change the cost center to a new one.

Now - my doubts are:

1. I know that deleting a cost center is foolish as the docs which were posted before will not be valid in future. So how do I manage the entries which were posted earlier to this cost center?

2. I need to do this before this month end closure and they want me to transfer all the entries to the new cost center and take into account the new one only and not the old one....

how do I manage this scenario..please help me..if you think that this is a very basic question please I want you to know that I am new to FI and ofcourse I have experience in SD/MM but not FI....except the integration part....pls help me...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the following steps.

1. Assign the New cost center in OKB9

2. Transfer the values from old cost center to New cost Center which is already posted.

3. Block the old cost center.

regards,

Gopi.P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Again...

I am sorry but I need another clarification...

1. The old cost center is valid from 01-jan-2007 till 31-dec-9999 and the new cost center is valid from 01-jan-2010 . I now got an information that I need to transfer the postings that were made only in March to the new one. And they asked me that the new cost center should be triggered in future from now.

My doubt is that-

For the new cost center to be triggered in future- I need to break the link in OKB9 but will this not affect the month end reports and the documents which were taken/posted in January and February in which the old cost center was used?

for example-

Suppose, I have posted an inventory difference by MI09/MI20 in January where the old cost center was used. Now, in March if I change the cost center - will I be able to diplay the documents in januray? will the system prompt any error not allowing me to display the doc?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suppose, I have posted an inventory difference by MI09/MI20 in January where the old cost center was used. Now, in March if I change the cost center - will I be able to diplay the documents in januray? YES. You will be able to display the documents.

will the system prompt any error not allowing me to display the doc?

No. It iwll not.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all of you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually this is answered but I dont know how to extend the discussion with my further doubts..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Repost the values from the old cost center to the new cost center. Tcode KB11N

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for an immediate reply.

but is it that simple? do I need to maintain any prerequisites or do I need to take any precautions before I do this and after I execute this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, it is as simple as it is.

do some re-postings in your development / testing clients, first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

reposting the values is just one thing. Block the cost-center for postings for future periods in cost-center master to avoid that it is used again and again and again...

To ensure blocking does not create additional problems, check the cost center usage in cost-center master "environment / where used-list" to find out where this old cost center was used and needs to be replaced by the new one (and this can be a lot of work, depending on the specific usage of this cost-center).

Best regards, Christian

Edited by: Christian Ortner on Mar 29, 2010 11:55 AM