cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 4.7 to ECC 6.0 Upgrade - Best Approach?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have to upgrade R/3 4.7 to ECC 6.0

We have to do th DB, Unicode and R/3 upgrade. I want to know what are the best approaches available and what risks are associated iwth each approach.

We have been considering the following approaches (but need to understand the risk for each approach).

1) DB and Unicode in 1st and then R/3 upgrade after 2-3 months

I want to understand that if we have about 700 Include Program changing as part of unicode conversion, how much of the functional testing is required fore this.

2) DB in 1st step and then Unicode and R/3 together after 2-3 months

Does it makes sense to combine Unicode and R/3 as both require similar testing? Is it possible to do it in 1 weekend with minimum downtime. We have about 2 tera bytes of data and will be using 2 systems fdor import and export during unicode conversion

3) DB and R/3 in 1st step and then Unicode much later

We had discussion with SAP and they say there is a disclaimer on not doing Unicode. But I also understand that this disclaimer does not apply if we are on single code page. Can someone please let us know if this is correct and also if doing Unicode later will have any key challenges apart from certain language character not being available.

We are on single code pages 1100 and data base size is about 2 tera bytes

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I suggest to proceed with 3rd point, since we have followed it in many customer places and it is sucessful also. The order will be like this

1. Database Upgrade

2. SAP component Upgrade

3. Unicode Conversion

CU-UC(combined upgrade with unicode conversion) is very complex to do. Mainly you will not be able to figure out the issues like its raised because of upgrade or unicode conversion.

After completion of SAP component upgrade, can wait for some time to make the system stable.

Then after sometime can plan for unicode conversion.

Unicode Conversion is one more complex task to do.

Hope it helps

Regards

KT

Former Member
0 Kudos

rahul,

did you perform UCCHECK just after upgrade to ECC 6.0 & before unicode conversion or after unicode convertion as your source system was 470

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I want to add a point:

Not doing Unicode conversion will prevent you from using new technologies (e. g. a Portal) because Java is Unicode-only. So if you plan to implement a Portal or other Java technologies you won´t come around converting to Unicode (also see Note 975768 - Deprecation of Java features with non-Unicode Backend)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

SAP recommends CU-UC approach even for the big landscapes too provided you have plenty resources to do that.My experience says it is really hard to do the testing part because you have to invest lot of time & resources for doing.If it is feasible you can split the upgrade.

I have done updage on large databases too which took less than 48hrs.You said you have single code page which takes much lesser thann multi codepage.

Please see my postings....

Regards,

Vamshi.

former_member194360
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul

regarding your 'Unicode doubt"' some ideas:

1) The Upgrade Master Guide SAP ERP 6.0 and the Master Guide SAP ERP 6.0 include introductory information. Among other, these guides reference the SAP Service Marketplace-location http://service.sap.com/unicode@sap.

2) In Unicode@SAP can you find several (content-mighty) FAQs

Conclusion from the FAQ: First of all your strategy needs to follow your busienss model (which we can not see from here):

Example. The "Upgrade to mySAP ERP 2005"-FAQ includes interesting remarks in section "DO CUSTOMERS NEED TO CONVERT TO A UNICODE-COMPLIANT ENVIRONMENT?"

"...The Unicode conversion depends on the customer situation....

... - If your organization runs a single code page system prior to the upgrade to mySAP ERP 2005, then the use of Unicode is not mandatory. ..... However, using Unicode is recommended if the system is deployed globally to facilitate interfaces and connections.

- If your organization uses Multiple Display Multiple Processing (MDMP) .... the use of Unicode is mandatory for the mySAP ERP 2005 upgrade....."

In the Technical Unicode FAQ you read under "What are the advantages of Unicode ...", that "Proper usage of JAVA is only possible with Unicode systems (for example, ESS/MSS or interfaces to Enterprise Portal). ....

=> Depending on the fact if your systems support global processes, or depending on your use of Java Applications, your strategy might need to look different

3) In particular in view of your 3rd option, I recommend you to take a look into these FAQs, if not already done.

Remark: mySAP ERP 2005 is the former name of the application, which is named SAP ERP 6.0, now

regards, and HTH, Andreas R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

3rd is my vote, upgrade is a whole project that can take a long time depending in developments you have. If you are using shingle code page you can do Unicode conversion with no problem.

Good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per me, you can have 3rd option, as i'm too presently going with same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shashank,

What versions of SAP are you on? I understand it is different with R/3 4.6 and 4.7 versions.

Regards

Rahul