cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qty difference in goods issue and goods receipt in STO

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using STO for transfer of goods from one plant to another plant using movement type 351.

The material (sand) that is transfered is with UOM as Ton.  There is always a difference of issue qty and received qty by few kgs because of the nature of material. If the qty received is less than the issue qty than there is no problem but when the qty received is more than the issue qty, the system is not permitting the goods receipts.

How to handle this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor

I fully agree with Dakshesh Vora's reply.

And I even want comment on this sentence: If the qty received is less than the issue qty than there is no problem

this cannot be true, you just do not know yet that you have a problem in this case too.

In a STO process you have to make sure that you receive the same quantity as it was issued, otherwise the difference remains in transit (which is actually part of the valuated stock in receiving plant). if you execute MB5T, then you will see all those little difference. And .... your business case is never closed, which means you cannot archive the PO in a few years, because the archiving program checks whether the received quantity equals the issued quantity. (infomation is in your PO history)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As per the issue.

(1) You can keep the tolerance limits for weight of sand

(2) You can change the UOM of sand.( In standard case no-one uses the Weight as UOM for sand -Due to the nature of material as transit losess are unavoidable .But if its your business requirement then no option for first answer (1)

(3) Change the  GRN Error message to Warning message

former_member210560
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Megha,

You can always set tolerance for the particular STO if you want to have GR more than GI. The tolerance

can be set at delivery tab when you execute ME21N. You can set overdelivery tolerance or you also

can set the unlimited indicator which means you allow unlimited receipts.

In customizing, this can be defaulted:

Transaction SPRO:

MM=> Purchasing => Purchase Order => setup STO

=> Assign Document Type, One-Step Procedure, Underdelivery Tole

Regards,

ian Wong Loke Foong

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created the STO for 2 kgs and given overdelivery tolerance as 10% in STO.

The message M7022 is set to warning.

I did GI for 2 Kg. (movement type 351)

When I tried to do GR for 2.01 kg, systen is not posting the GR.

I did what you have suggested, but not able to post GR .

Can you please test at your end.

former_member331858
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do GRN only for the quantity available in transit, it doesnt matter you change the error message to warning or vice versa. Hence do PI adjustment after GRN.

Thanks

Vijay

former_member210560
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Megha,

Please kindly explain what do you meant by the system is not posting GR? How it  behave, please explain

more the behaviour or any error received? Update termination? dump?

Regards,

ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your case is a bit unusual and scenario described should be rare, else there is some flaw in the process of weigh bridge at either or both plants.

Normally you can have transit losses not gains, and hence it makes me believe that both wiegh bridges are not tunned appropriately.

System will be helpless in such cases as, accounting happens at the time of GI only and hence system cannot increase qty and inturn value of transit stock, also if it allows than it will have to somehow create reverse stock in transit for issuing plant, which will further complicate things.

My suggestion is to verify with business why such stock mismatch on higher end would occur and whether there is possibility to improve weigh bridge accuracy or not. From SAP perspective I believe you cannot have reciept more than issue in case of STOs.

If such cases are rare and occurs only once in a while, you should develop some alerts so that someone can act upon it and take necessary action of either increasing the issue qty or making a physical inventory movment for incremental stock or just directly posting 301 for incremental qty and post the exact GI qty as receipt manually.

Apart from that I believe you cannot do much.

Regards,

Dakshesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting the error message M7 022

former_member210560
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Megha,

Let's me update the status.

Message M7022 can only be customized for release  <  4.70 and for higher release this cannot

be done. In higher release, you should define the tolerance or set "unlimited" and this is the right track.

Please check if stock exist in stock in transit. It can check via table MARC. Sometimes, other

GR material document has taken this quantity. This table can give you more visibility and understand

the reason of the error message. Then you may understand more how the stock movement via

transaction MB51 and the stock left in transit.

Regards,

ian Wong Loke Foong

tejyadav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adjust your excess quantity seen in the error by Mvt. 557 & 558, You can go through below link for understanding the logic of this error, Check for Merwyn Netto Reply,

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1088268

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no issue in the accuracy of 2 scales neither any in process.

the nature of product is like this. Sometimes the drivers waters the sand to compensate for the losses in transit. The increase of weight is not an regular scenario but it happens, it is an operational issue where we have no control.

Since the weigh bridge interface is involved and the process is automatic posting of GR, first goods issue will be posted automatically then GR will be posted automatically.

Logically we should post GI with the qty what is mentioned on the transporter document and weighbridge slip and do GR with the qty what we weigh at our plant.

Due to this few exception of difference in GI Qty and GR Qty where GR Qty > GI Qty the document will not post in SAP and there is document fallout/error message in weigh bridge system.

We have decided to post GI and GR with the same qty and capture the transporter weight slip qty in the field qty in the delivery note. this will solve weigh bridge interface issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If truck driver artifically increases the weight that means its a process flaw and you have to stop someone from missusing the system. May be you can have your weigh bridge system not book any access qty than what your delivery note from issuing plant says. If qty is more than issue qty as per delivery note than system should ignore weighed qty and take issue qty as the actual qty. This may help you overcome the automation problem, but your real challenge and opportunity is to correct the truck driver's watering of the sand.

Anyways, in STO process the thumb rule is to book GR as much as GI otherwise you will have to deal with SIT, and it is alway better to deal with unristricted stock than SIT, mind it that both are valuated.

Regards,

Dakshesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Megha,

Please  check the tolerance limit.

Regards

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The material is SAND , as its weight will be more at river bed because the sand contains moisture. Or in transit its weight will get added if there is rain.

I think there is difference in readings given by both the weighing bridges. ( check the accuracy of the instrument)

The measurement of sand by weight is not preferable procedure as the weight of sand will change due to moisture contain, in transit losses, rain, vehicle change ect better keep the any other unit of measurement  for transparency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the receipt end the weight is more then their might be a difference in weighing machine (at delivery end and at receipt end)...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As the material is SAND then,their is always some difference in receipt quantity as due to transit losses. You can use standard incoterms and fix the quantity at delivery end as fixed or you can use the weighing bridges ( for weight measurement ) which is managed by standard authority. The weighing slip given by weighing bridge can be considered as standard weight of sand .

Thanks...

former_member331858
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your case is quite intresting, let me tell my suggestion..

Assume your PLANT A is having 100 tons, the same is being transferred to PLANT B.

While doing 351 from PLANT A, 100 tons is removed and showed in transit.

While receiving at PLANT B, you found it is more than 100 tons.

At this point of time you cannot ask PLANT A to send more qty to match the difference.

So at PLANT B receive 100 tons, and make physical inventory adjustments for the excess qty.

Anyway let us wait for others views & suggestions.

Thanks

Vijay

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are doing STO between  plants and are you using incoterms which define,represents who owns the stock and delivery conditions and has the responsibility when a material is in transit and decide depending on the Incoterms

Don’t receive the material, let the issuing plant cancel the material issue and re-do with the correct quantity and you  receive this correct quantity!

OR

Receive it with movement type  and then scrap it with 551 movement type. 

OR

Receive it with 101 movement type and then do a physical count and post the difference( MI01,MI04 and MI07).

Regards,

Biju K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biju,

We have an weigh bridge interface. We need to post goods issue first followed by goods receipt automatically. There is no manual entry by any users to do goods issue. The concern is if the GR qty is more than the goods issue qty then system will not post and we will have operational issue and full business will standstill. For GR qty less than the gr qty there is no issue.

As the nature of goods (sand) is like that this scenario cannot be ruled out where the receipt qty can be more than the goods issue qty.

The AS-IS process is -The sand is coming from river beds, there is a weigh bridge at the shore. Truck weights are done there and drivers are given weigh slip from that weigh bridge. When the sand arrives the weight of truck is done at the plant weigh bridge.

We are doing plant weigh bridge interface with SAP. Therefore we need STO where we can capture transporter freight. Since in SAP 351 movement have goods issue and goods receipt we need to do automatically both the activities. If I enter in goods issue the weight as per shore weigh slip and the weight qty at plant weigh bridge is more than weigh interface will have error.

We are thinking to do goods issue with the same qty as gr and capture goods issue qty in the field qty in the delivery note.

Former Member
0 Kudos

- did you try to provide tolerance for the material master or directly in STO PO? I hope you dont have any tolerance so system is expecting the exact weight as GI.

- As you said it's automatic movement through interface it's easy to correct the interface to accomodate the weight logic if the GR is more than GI. Later you may decide whether to scrap or do physical inventory or keep the excess quantity. 

- this happens with industries chemical and agro industry where moisture and other factors plays vital role in determining the weight. In one of our client, they maintain all the variable weights as characteristics like target weight, net weight, re weight and etc.. and in any process, transactions will keep the same quantity as 100 tons. for example you may write a logic in ur weighing bridge program to capture excess weight seperately in a different field but 100 tons in the original quantity flows into the quantity field so it will disrupt the process.