cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prerequisites for activating batch management with inventory already in SAP

0 Kudos

hi all,

We have a requirement for a plant to activate batch management where the plant is already running their business in SAP.

Even though we cleared(Movement type 562 ) the stock in the current periods , system still does not allow us to activate batch management in the material master.

Can somebody help us with, What are all the prerequisites to be satisfied before we activate batch management ?

Regards

Gobi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In MM02 you receive a message that you shall look into the log if the batch management indicator cannot be saved.

In that moment, hit enter and a new button will appear, there you can exactly read which document is hindering you.

Usually it is stock in previous period that is forgotten to make zero.

Check in MM03 at accounting view what your previous period stock is.

As you have already cleared current period stock,

you have to add again as much stock in the current period as you have to remove from previous period.

then issue the stock with a previous period date. (you may have to allow previous period posting in MMRV first, and FI period has to allow it as well -> OB52)

0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen L,

I wrote off the stock in the previous period and it worked. Thanks.

Jürgen L. / Sundaresan ,

When i try to activate batch management for materials with open Production order, i am getting the below warning message . However i am able to proceed.

"Production orders already exist for the material

Message no. MM065

Diagnosis

You have changed the Batch management indicator, although production orders already exist for the material.

Procedure

View the existing production orders for the material to make sure that this does not cause problems.

Example

If a production order exists for the material, and if a batch is specified in the production order, it is inconsistent to cancel the Batch management indicator.

"

Please advise what impact will it have on the business.

Regards

Gobi

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Data from material master is copied into transactional data such as a production order.

You are changing batch management requirement in material master, existing transactional data will not be updated automatically.

Hence the production order does not know about this batch management requirement.

It is in general possible to create the batch already when creating the PP order, this is what cannot be achieved with the old order.

But I dont think it is too serious in this case, as system will force you to create a batch when posting the receipt for this PP order.

to be save, I would flag the production order for deletion and create a new one.

sundaresan_velayudam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

there is no Impact

This error is applicable If the Batch is already activated In the Production order level, at the time if you deactivate, you will get inconsistency.

This error won't apply for You

0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen L,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Gobi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sundaresan_velayudam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check any open PR/PO/plan order/prdn order is available for that material

To know the open order click display error for that material in material master after try to activating batch management.

I would suggest to create a new material code with batch managed for that material and do the transfer posting. Instead of deleting Procurement proposal & stock reversal

Edited by: Sundaresan . E. V on Mar 8, 2011 2:30 PM

0 Kudos

hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

The business is using the material code for long time and hence it will not be possible for us to create new materials codes against the exciting material codes.

Do we need to delete the procurement proposals as well in order to activate batch management ?

Regards

gobi

sundaresan_velayudam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Do we need to delete the procurement proposals as well in order to activate batch management ?

Check In MM02 for that material.

Activate the Batch management,

you will get Batch management requirement can't changed

click the display error

You will get list of Open procurement proposal

You need to delete the open procurement proposal to activate batch management