Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Part - Stocking & selling

former_member700523
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can we stock, manufacture & sell phantom parts?

Regards,

MHP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

krishna_chandra5
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MHP,

Phantom materials are just for our convenience and understanding the BOM. They doesnot exist in the inventory, doesnot have production/process orders and obviously not able to sell these as no stocks exists/not able to manufacture these materials.

Regards,

Krishna Chandra

former_member700523
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the reply.

According to SAP concepts I agree with you.

But i try to manufacture OR externally procure, make the stock & then sell the phantom part then will SAP allow me to do so?

If not at which point (procuremnt, inventory, sell, costing etc) system will stop or restrict me in doing so?

Regards,

MHP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello MHP,

Yes you should be able to stock, & produce these phantom materials.

Here instead of defining the procurement key in the material master, you define

that the material is to be treated as phantom at the item level in BOM.

Also BOM explosion can be controlled using explosion type, check the below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/f4/7d2b5f44af11d182b40000e829fbfe/content.htm

Check this & revert.

Regards

Mithun

krishna_chandra5
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MHP,

For ur understanding the Phantom assembly will not be the first level or last level of the BOM, always in between the levels. It is only useful to collect a group of materials into one BOM.

For Example

Assume that Car is a FG with SFG chasis (1 no.), engine (1 no.), Seats and Tyres (4 no.). Inturn these SFG's will have RM's.

Now u can create a new material called Tyre assembly (with special procurement - 50 in MRP2 view). Create a BOM for the material Tyre assembly with 4 tyres as components.

Then u can remove the tyres (4 no.) from the FG BOM and u can add this Tyre assembly as one component (in BOM item detail u can see a check box as phantom item for Tyre assembly). During MRP run system will not consider the Tyre assembly, as it is a phantom assembly and it will create dependent requirements only for Tyres (4 no.)

Actually tyre assembly doesnot exist physically, but it is used only for the material seggregation and easy understanding of BOM.

Hope this will clear ur query.

Regards,

Krishna Chandra

former_member700523
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mithun & all,

Thanks for the reply. Points are allocated.

I can mark in BOM as suggested. That is not the problem.

I will like to know wheather system allow me to complete the whole cycle for the phantom part like costing procurement & sales or not.

I know that I can test it but I want to know from the experts - their comments & experiences on this.

Plesae provide the suggestions.........

Regards,

MHP

former_member700523
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna & all,

Thanks for explaining, but I am not discussing the concept & or the way of working of phantom assembly. I know it very well.

I will like to know wheather system allow me to complete the whole cycle for the phantom part like costing, procurement, sales & shipment or not.

I know that I can test it but I want to know from the experts - their comments & experiences on this.

Plesae provide the suggestions.........

Regards,

MHP

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi MHP,

Whether the material can be procured, Sold kept in stock depends on the material type.

procurement type & special procurement type further refines this, the special procurement keys

normally control how material is handled for procurement & production mainly during MRP & production control & confirmation

You will not have any issues while procuring, selling, producing phantom materials & keeping stocks.

But testing it from your end you would have clarity

regards

Mithun

Answers (0)