Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUMBER RANGE TRANSPORTING

former_member198942
Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP Guru's

SAP recommends not to transport the number range configuration from one client/Instance to other client in the same instance or from one client of one instance to other client of the other instance. This is generally becuase it may cause duplicacy of the number generated, curropt the data etc...Also the current number in the configured range which forms basis for the system to generate the next number to the object also gets transported...

My concern is when you are transporting the current number in the source client/instance if gets transported to the host client/instance then automatically any object generated will have next number..then how does it affect.??..doesnt the current number get transported.???...will .system start assigning the number form 1st?????

Please resolve....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello ShaikMurad,

You have raised a very good issue. Actually every client has its own set of tables. If we transport number ranges from Quality server to Production server, then the main object key (OBJNR) will become duplicate in all the tables where ever new notificatino is created. Therfore, it will give you a dump. Please don't try this.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member198942
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks vaibhav...

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there,

what i would say is, it is always better to have the number ranges manually congifured into the system using fire wall transaction.

you can delete the existing number ranges if any and then can configure your set of number ranges,

Former Member
0 Kudos

transporting number range is very risky. I have an experience with this. i get dump all over the place. spend a couple of days sorting out the mess.

What i did to go into debug mode and see what are the range effected and i manually set the current number in that range. As you said, transporting number range is not advised, so better avoid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The issue is the next number that's been generated based on the NR of the object, may already exists on the host system and hence would result in a short dump.

Consider a scenario when both the source and host system start with same number range.Then over a period of time you generate more orders in Host system than in the Source system.Now if you move the number range from source system to the host system and then try to create a object in the Host system the create transaction would fail because the Object number , which generally is the key, already exists in the database.

Regards

Narasimhan