cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New additional local currency in a productive system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Has anyone added a new local currency for a company code that has transactional data?

We basically have one Irish company code that was set up with GBP as local currency code because it is at the moment part of a British company (it is not a legal entity itself). But we would now to be able to hold our Balance Sheet and P&L in EUR (which is in any case the document currency for most transactional data), especially looking at a future split of both entities.

I understand that it is possible to add a second local currency (EUR set up as currency type 40 or 50 for example) even though there is transactional data in the system, but what are the implications? Can this only be done at year end or could we use any period end to start using this second currency? Would we necessarily need to convert all historical data to this second currency as well?

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems you are planning to introduce parallel currency for the specified company code. It is possible but you need to do impact assessment of introduction of additional local currency.

Pls. refer to the SAP Note 39919 - Introducing parallel currencies in FI, which will give you good insight about the same.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chirag, thanks for your response. I had had a look to that note already but it does not seem to give a clear answer since it recommends to contact the SAP SLO group to get an assessment (and quotation) of the work to be done.

I believe now that we need to decide whether to add a second local currency (EUR) to the existing company code or create a new company code with the correct currency settings and then migrate the old one into the new one. I am not sure how easy this sort of "migration" within the same SAP system is. We need to assess the costs and benefits of both options before we can take a decision.

Any opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

You can surely add new currency. This would ensure the data posted in system post the change is updated in this new currency.

However if you are interested in amending the old data then it is only advisable to get the services from SAP SLO.

Regards,

Binay Agarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your response Binay.

We are not so much interested in the old data but especially going forward and maybe the history for 2008. But as I understand we need to convert old data in any case if we want to be able to generate a trial balance in the new currency isnt' it? Otherwise how the system would calculate the balances in the new currency?

I understand that least all GL balances and open items from the balance sheet would need to be converted, even if we are not interested in getting our history in this new currency?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

Yes if that is the requirement, then the best route would be by utilising SAP SLO services. This would be costly but unavoidable, Writing a custom code to update the system can prove to be costly if not done properly.

Regards,

Binay Aagrwal

Answers (0)