cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Grouping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My business requires to classify/group the materials from each material type into four different categories depending on their usage.

But we have already certain material groups and external material groups maintained in the material master long time back.

What is the procedure i need follow now to categorize the materials into four new types. Later, we need to see (like a report) what all materials are in each category.

Please advise. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andrea_brusarestelletti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you could use the "Product hierarchy" (MARA-PRODHA) or the "Division" (MARA-SPART): the last one has a deep impact on Sales processing.

Hope to be useful.

Best regards,

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Product hierarchy is one of the option on the table, but looking for some easy process which can be done quickly. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created different division fields and assigned those for the materials in material master. Later, with a simple query i was able to generate a report and it works.

Do these divisions have any impact on other processes like sales, etc ??

andrea_brusarestelletti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

do you mean new values for the field "Division" (MARA-SPART)?

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, i created new values for division and assigned those to materials in material master Basic data 1 view.

Nothing is assigned previously. So, does this have any impact on sales process.

andrea_brusarestelletti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

yes, it has impacts on sales processing: when you create a Sales Order the system determines the "Division" from the material and from the Sales area open for the customer: it means that you can sell a material to a customer only if that customer is open on that division. On top of that, you can't sell materials with different Division on the same sales order.

Best regards,

Andrea

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Material group and external material groups are the options if you want categorize the material types further and same can be fetched in reports in MC.9 and other LIS reports.

But if you want categorize the material types further with different GL account, you can go with four new valuation class. Again you can fetch the report based on valuation class in MC.9 and other reports.

If your aim is mainly on the reports, you think about using material groups and valuation class as I dont think there are many reports which are based on division or prod hierarchy