Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Description to be overwritten in PR/PO from material master

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

when we create a PO/PR from ME51n and ME21n the material description field is mandatory hence inspite of making setting as display only in SPRO the inital screen will except any description and will save it.

Is there any thing else by which the description data can be overwritten from material master so that even if the user enters any xyz description the system overwrites it from the material master.

Regards,

Reena

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ajitkumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if a material master is maintained, PR /PO take the description maintained in the material master, if the field is left blank. if some data is entered, it wont be overwritten.

if you are making PO for items which are not maintained in the material master, then it gets compulsory to enter text nd material group

so there is no need to maintain the field as required entry or display. you may need to ensure user descipline not to enter any text , if the material number is being inputted

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

they should maintain the discipline but they are not and they want the solution for it so stuck....

ajitkumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

making the texts display only is not a desirable solution since in such cases how wil you handle service PO or PO with text item.

you may have to use an enhancement to replace the data with MM text

you should be able to use ME_PROCESS_PO_CUST. define the logic to include situations where there is no material master

Former Member
0 Kudos

First check what is the relevant Document type and FIELDSEL. you have in SPRO-MM-PO-Define Document Types

Then go to SPRO-MM-PO-Define screen layout at document level. Select the FIELDSEL you found above and go to details BASIC DATA, item. Mark Material Descriptions as "Display".

Please revert if this is helpful.

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Prabhu/Alan Love,

I have tried this and yes it actually looks editable but once i put any random character say abc.....the system accepts it and saves it. it dosent take the data from the master nor overwrites from the master then what is the use of that field getting greyed out later

Regards

Edited by: reena ghadge on Nov 24, 2011 2:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you mark it as Display, user cannot put anything there. So descriptions is always pulled from material master.

Do you have any reason not making it Display?

If you still want it to be editable and yet don't want to get user's descriptions, it is very contradict. This is not possible. if editable and still wants to pull material master, you have to go for user exit to customize it.

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Alan,

Even after making it display when you go to the t-code me21n or me51n the field is not grey/display mode initially ....once we enter some data and press enter it becomes grey .....so in my case the user is entering all the

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Along with field selection ME21N/ME51N please also make the short text in display mode for those field selections which are assigned to your PO/PR document type (like NBF).

then it will work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make the "Short text" in Display selected too.

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

redriver/alan love,

I have already tried no use..

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can very well achieve it by making the field "Material description" a "Display" field in the IMG path: Maintain screen layout at document level

However, you have to use the right "Field selection key" to make the screen changes. For eg. for NB purchase order, the field selection key would be NBF and not ME21N.

The field selection key that is applicable for the document type can be found in "Define Document types" img activity.

I have checked this and it works perfectly fine for both PR & PO.

Once you enter the material number in PR (or PO), the material description is brought from material master and then the field is greyed out. (thought initially the matl. description field looks editable).

<< Moderator message - Point begging removed >>

Cheers.

Prabhu S

Edited by: Rob Burbank on Nov 24, 2011 10:24 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can also maintain Info. Record PO Text in Info Record and select No MText in Purchasing Org Data 1 Tab.

Info Record text will be copied into PO.

Hope this helps!

Reetesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But SAP standard provided us with the option where the system automatically takes the material description from MM01 where you have provided with and the same description is carried when you just enter your material code.MAKT is the field which is updated by the system itself hen ever you enter material.

Thanks

reena_ghadge
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Madhavi,

Thanks for ur reply

we can enter the code and when pressed enter all the data is fetched from master but the client users enters even the description which is different from the master data and the system accepts it

Edited by: reena ghadge on Nov 24, 2011 2:24 PM