cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material BOMS and Construction Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to use material BOMS as much as possible in our business. We want to link these to equipment objects via the construction type.

Issue is, if we have a motor setup as an equipment object, we may stock the whole motor as an individual stock item, as well as its individual components. In this case, we have a material number to represent the whole motor, and we create a materail BOM off this material number. This is loaded as construction type against the equipment object.

If we have a work order created for the equipment object, and want to replace the whole motor, we are not able to select the material number for the motor from the components list in the order. We get an error saying that the 'construction type is not intended as a materia component'.

How can we select the whole motor from the components list in this case? I know we can enter the material number directly, but would like to be able to select from the list.

It might make more sense to raise the work order at the parent functional location level in this case, but we don't want to hold the material number for the whole motor as a BOM item within the parent functional location either.

What is the best way to enable the material number for the whole motor to be selected from the components list in a work order?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

HiteshMistry
Participant

HI,

Create two material for the same motor, one virtual material of material type IBAU (Maintenance assembly) & other one actual material of material type ERSA (Spare parts). Create Material BOM for virtual material (IBAU) & assign actaul material (ERSA) in that BOM. Assign virtual material (IBAU) in the construction type field. This way you can select actual material (ERSA) motor from BOM.

Regards,

Hitesh Mistry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have considered this option, but I have the following concerns with this approach:

1. Why would we want to have two material numbers setup for the same stock item? I would prefer to avoid the administration overhead if possible.

2. For serialised equipment, we need a stock item (non IBAU) material number on the serial data tab. We may configure the system to force link this material number with construction type. We wouldn't want two different material numbers between these fields (i.e. an IBAU number in construction type, and a ERSA number in serial data tab).

3. My understanding of construction type is that you are saying that this equipment object is constructed from xxxxxxx material. Therefore the material should exist physically.

I would only use IBAU materials within a BOM to break it down into more manageable parts for reliability analysis of damages and causes, cost analysis, general grouping of material components.

Please let me know if you disagree with any of these concerns.

Otherwise, is there any other options you can think of to achieve the requirement?

Cheers

HiteshMistry
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

1. Yes this would increase admistration overhead, but this is one time activity. Also there is no other harm in keeping two material numbers for same item, because as per SAP, for maintenance assembly (IBAU material) no plant datas are required & is used only to structure the technical objects. Also there would not be any objection from MM side as it would not affect an inventory.

2. You can maintain two different material numbers in construction type field & in serial dat tab. Do you have any specific requirement to keep both material nos same ?

3. Yes, in this case also, material exists. But what we are assigning in construction type field is technical object (maintenance assembly) not the inventorized material (ERSA). Consider example of motor, which you are defining as an equipment in PM & for the same you are creating material in MM. Likewise maintenance assembly is used in PM to map the technical system.

I don't see any other option, however let's see any one has one.

Hitesh

former_member661330
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For most of the BOMs on PM is a good idea to create a new material (IBAU) and use the ERSA material as part of your BOM, IBAU materials are not in stock or have any purchase, MRP, etc views. It's doesn't hurt your system.

Regards

Carlos

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Guys, really appreciate the feedback. Will see if anyone else has comment.

Thanks,

Maikel

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

simon_miller
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Option 3 is that you create a material BOM for the real stocked construction type material and add the same material number in, which makes the BOM recursive, which is a problem until you tick the "recursive allowed" box.

Then you can add the whole "motor" to your order from the BOM.

Cheers

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bell

Your both the options are valid , however in the case of Motor u can go for option 1 .

Option 2 is more applicable for Large Equipment like ( Compressors , Turbines etc ) which are having many set of units and each individual unit having n numbers of spares ..

Eg - Compressor

IBAU 1 - Compressor Cylinder & Piston Assembly

IBAU 2 - Compressor Cooling Assembly

IBAU 3 - Compressor Oil Assembly

And then attach all ERSA with their respective IBAU . It will help user to serch the relevant spares easily.

Regards

Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bell

Keeping full unit as a spare for most of the critical equipment is a very standard practise all across the Maintenance units to avoid any down time .

Now this full unit is treated as spare only as similar as other spares like bearing , motor shaft etc .

In most of the implementation they are using IBAU assembly functionality to Map this .

In MMP1 to create a PM Assembly you can use the nomenclature as " PM Assembly - Motor " to avoid the conflict of same text for the two material and then by CS01 link all the spares (ERSA) along with the complete motor unit your PM assembly .

The purpose of construction type is to provide you the list of spares along with quantity to help the user to avoid searching the material code each time , hence i dont think if there will be any problem in using the above.

Regards

Sameer

Edited by: Saxena Sameer on Jan 11, 2012 10:08 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

Ok, general opinion seems to be that using IBAU materials is the way to go in this case. So what is the best way to structure the BOM? Using the motor as an example, would you:

1. Create a material BOM for the IBAU, and include the motor and all its parts directly under the IBAU, or

2. Create a material BOM for the IBAU, and include the ERSA motor stock item directly under the IBAU... then create a material BOM for the ERSA motor and include all its spare parts directly underneath the ERSA?

Option 2 would allow for the IBAU to be used as construction type, but also allow for ERSA material to have its own portable BOM. e.g. if we decided we don't want to use IBAU materials in the future we could just get rid of them without affecting the physical BOM.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Maikel

former_member661330
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My suggestion is to create your BOM from the IBAU and include your ERSA under the IBAU

Regards

Carlos

HiteshMistry
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Maikel,

I think 2 option would be better.

Hitesh