cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass change asset class

former_member294023
Participant
0 Kudos

We have all of our desktop and laptop computers in one asset class that has 5 years depreciation. We now have a need to depreciate all laptop computers over 4 years, so we would like to move laptops from the current class (5 year depr) to a new class set up for 4 year depreciation. I had hoped to mass change asset class using substitution, but class is not a field that can be changed using that method. Is there a way to accomplish this without creating new asset numbers? I've seen reference to transaction ABUMN but I'm not sure if this is what I should use to do a mass change.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member205041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, I agree - you can not change the asset class.

But why you want to change asset class?

You only want to change the useful life from 5 to 4 years - right?

If you only want to change useful life it's not necessary to change the asset class.

If you want to change asset class for some reason (I don't know) -> mass transfer.

Regards Bernhard

former_member294023
Participant
0 Kudos

We want to create a new asset class for 4 year depreciation and move only SOME of the assets (laptops) to this new class. Do you suggest something different?

former_member205041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

my question is:

Why you need a new asset class?

If you change the useful liefe from 5 years 4 years you don't have to change the asset class at all.

On the contrary: If you change the asset class it has no impact on the already created assets and therefore also not on the useful life.

Let me explain the concept of a asset class:

In a asset class you define default values for example depreciation calculation.

If you create a asset you can change this default values, for example depre. key or useful life (from 5 to 4 years).

Now, if you have created the asset, you can change every time the parameters for depreciation calculation and the depreciation will be recalculated for all open years. This is no problem at all.

On the other hand, if you have already created a asset and you change the asset class it has no impact on already created assets! A asset class is a kind of template. You can use this template and you can change it afterwards.

From this point of view I think you are completely mistaken. If you want to change the useful life it makes no sense at all to change the asset class.

Please give me feedback if I understood you well.

Regards Bernhard

Edited by: Bernhard Kirchner on Dec 3, 2010 12:58 PM

former_member294023
Participant
0 Kudos

My user wants to be able to track and report on laptops separately (the new asset class); so, we wanted to move them from their current class to a new one; I understand what you are saying regarding the depreciation - that could certainly be done without changing the class; but they do still want to separate them out into their own class.

former_member205041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

OK, if you need asset class as criterion for classifying fixed assets you have to make a transfer.

regards Bernhard

former_member205041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think mass change is the best idea.

1) GGB1: Create a substitution:

2) AR01: Execute the report with the assets you want to change

3) Press Button: "create worklist " (here you enter the substitution)

4) AR31 Execute worklist

(ABUMN is for transfer to another asset)

regards Bernhard

former_member294023
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm not finding asset class as a field that we can substitue - it's ANLA-ANKA; or am I missing something?

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it's not possible to change the class on an asset. Mass change isn't an option; you'll have to perform an asset transfer.

-nathan

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.