cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known limitations or alternatives to COPA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

clients in telecommunications industry or energy suppliers will probably have a huge quantity of transactional data to process for profitability analysis. So CO-PA may not be practical due to performance issues and timeouts. As I understand, BW can be connected to CO-PA for reporting purposes. But are there any known limitations to CO-PA, for example a maximum amount of data that can be stored/processed?

Are there any alternatives to profitability analysis with CO-PA (/BW)?

Is there a "best practice" for profitability analysis in the telecommunications industry, where those masses of data occur?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The issues u r mentioning are relevant for the performance of reports... BW is becoming better alternative to have all COPA relevant reports... U can extract all u r copa posted document details into BW... Now as far as the size/volume is concerned COPA module/COPA documents are not different than any other module like FI, SD or MM.

Regards

Sudhakar Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer. So you say that even huge loads of data could be sent to copa and then extracted to SAP BW. Regarding the size limit you mentioned. Could you please tell me, what are the usual limitations of the COPA or the other modules?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not get the meaning of limitations... functionally or technically... functionality depends on the requirements of business...

If its huge in size..u can do archival...

Regards

Sudhakar Reddy

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The only 'limitation' I encountered in CO-PA through the projects I performed, is the fact that there could be only 50 characteristics and key figures; I had clients who claimed that it's not enough. But, after reasonable discussion the data was re-modified and 50 charateristics were quite sufficient. In terms of data analysis, 50 dimensions in the cube should be sufficient; otherwise, the cost-benefit analysis of the supplementary dimension will fail. Regarding the volume of the data, you can be secure that the new techniques of BW (where optimally the reporting should be performed) allow to maintain huge data clusters with the same quality as other BI tools on the market.

Regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

the "technical limits" Eli described are 50 characteristics and (ERP 60) 200 value fields (there is an SAPNET Note how to enlarge this from the old 120 value fields to 200). So this should be sufficient for even very large companies.

AS BI (BW) extraction is working well its possible to add characteristics information in the BI-reporting, where the 50 chars. limitation is not relevant.

Best ragards, Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't find SAP notes how to enlarge the limitation of CO-PA value fields from 120 to 200. Please let me know the notes asap.

Best regards,

John

Edited by: jhan92 on Aug 26, 2009 9:08 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter, Hi everybody,

Were you able fix the issue you mentioned in your post written longtimeago? I am facing similar doubts: I am working in Telco (SAP RMCA) and we suppose to send postings to FI-GL (FPG1) and COPA (FPG3).

In case of CO-PA postings we have been requested to create them with almost same granularity as in RMCA (customer and invoice item level).

Assumed to have millions of postings monthly in RMCA (invoices coming from external billing system) we would send similar granularity to CO-PA: meaning millions of postings per month in CO-PA.

Are those volumes ok for CO-PA?

Comments/Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks. Best regars,

Marco

udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

CO-PA was from design intended to deal with high data volumes and offers techniques for optimization.

Have a look at the notes in CO-PA like this one and the other ones listed as related notes:

[ Note 83204 - Usage strategy for summarization levels|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/83204]

best regards,

Udo