cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JRE for TaxFactory after Change in Oracle Licensing Terms

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now that Oracle has changed their licensing terms for commercial use of their JRE (the old Sun JRE that so many of us have used for years and years), what are the options for supporting the TaxFactory 10 or 11 client? This client is web-based and relies upon Apache Tomcat, and I've only ever found references to use of Oracle Java for running Tomcat, yet these appear to be quite old references, most likely not updated since the change in Oracle's terms.

Is it possible or recommended to run TaxFactory (and by extension, Tomcat) on other JREs? Will it run on SAPJVM, for instance? And, just today, I learned about something called "sapmachine" which appears to be an open-source JRE development, though it's not clear if that's officially SAP (or BSI) supported.

Reference: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/jdk-faqs.html

Cheers,
Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The solution is to use SAP's open-source JRE/JVM, "SapMachine," available on GitHub:

https://sap.github.io/SapMachine/

This is indeed an SAP-supported option, as described in Note 2700275 (referenced by Cris in a comment above).

Apache Tomcat and BSI TaxFactory both run perfectly well on SapMachine 11. Download the JRE "installer" version for Windows x64. When you install it, select "Yes" for "Add to PATH", "Set JAVA_HOME", and "Run jar files with SapMachine."

When you install Tomcat 9, on the page for "Java Virtual Machine" select the folder "C:\Program Files\SapMachine\JRE\11."

When you install TaxFactory 11, on the page for "Java Runtime Environment Configuration," set the path to "C:\Program Files\SapMachine\JRE\11\bin\server\jvm.dll."

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member678657
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

Could you please confirm if this has worked, we are in the process of upgrading to BSI 11.

During the upgrade, we are considering the probability of using SAP JAM (java Machine) to avoid license issues.

Any update would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Nag

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nagaraja,

Yes, using SapMachine (not SAPJVM) worked. I described the high-level process for implementing it in my answer above (marked "best answer").

It's important to make the distinction between SAPJVM and SapMachine. While they are both Java Runtime implementations, they are not the same, and they do not serve the same purpose. SAPJVM is intended for running Netweaver Java Application Servers, and other server installations similar to that, whereas SapMachine is intended to be a client workstation JVM or JRE that works very similarly to how the Oracle/Sun JRE works. SapMachine is what you need for your Tomcat/TaxFactory installation.

Cheers,
Matt

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I guess this is a question for BSI, as they own TaxFactory.

I look for some SAP Notes related to this topic, but nothing containing JRE information.

Looking for JRE and tomcat, I only found BI-related content.

[editing my answer...]

I dig a bit deeper.

Have you tried to use Open JDK 8 or open JDK 11? My searches show that these versions can be used as alternative. For a final answer, please consider raising a support incident under XX-PART-BSI-TFY area.

Regards,

Cris

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Matt,

About sapmachine, please read more in SAP Note 2700275 - Java SE Technologies in SAP Products

Kind regards,

Cris

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor

Thanks Cris,

My own research led to the realization that "sapmachine" is in fact an SAP-supported fork of OpenJDK, so I'm going to give it a try with this version. If it works with that, then this is probably the best answer. According to the documentation for Apache Tomcat (which is the main component depending upon that JRE), any JRE of v8 or higher should work, so the sapmachine JRE v11 should be included in that grouping.

I'll know for sure by this time tomorrow, I expect, as I'm just about to try it.

Cheers,
Matt