Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JE from Manual closing of Goods Return

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We used the wrong vendor in a Goods Receipt so we reversed it by creating a Good Return document. The inventory postings were corrected and both document totals were the same, however, when we closed the documents and checked the journal entries, we realized that different $ was posted even though the document totals were the same on both documents. The Goods Receipt JE matched the document total.However, the Goods Return JE did not match the Goods Return document total. I cannot figure out where the Goods Return JE $ came from. Now we have a balance in our Goods Clearing account. Can you please help us solve this problem? Is this a bug?

Thanks so much!

Jane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

I have a large balance in the Goods Clearing Account. To which account should I clear it out to for this transactional error? Thank you!

julie_jamieson2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

If you do an inventory revaluation to update your item cost, the offsetting account should be a cost of sales account, the one specified in your account determination for GL Increase / Decrease.

You can then clear the allocation account by JE to that account to offset the amount.

DO NOT post directly to the Finished Inventory account, this will leave a variance between your GL and stock ledgers.

If you are not worried about the item cost for that item, then just clear the amount to the GL Increase / Decrease account

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

These were the transactions for the Goods Receipt and Goods Return

Goods Receipt - (USED wrong vendor)

Document total $ 98,800.100

Finished Inventory Debit $ 98,800.100

Accrued Liabilities Cr $ 98,800.100

Closed Goods Receipt

Accrued Liabilities Debit $ 98,800.100

Goods Clearing Account CR $ 98,800.100

Goods Return (TRIED USING GOODS RETURN TO OFFSET GOODS RECEIPT)

Document total $ 98,800.100

However a different item price was used by SAP for the Goods Return Journal entries.

Finished Inventory Debit $ $ -59,888.303

Accrued Liabilities Credit $ $ -59,888.303

Closed Goods Return

Accrued Liabilities Debit $ $ -59,888.303

Goods Clearing Account CR $ $ -59,888.303

CAN I USE THE FOLLOWING JE TO CORRECT THE BALANCES?

Goods Clearing Account DB 38,911.797

Finished Inventory CR 38,911.797

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For selection account and amount, please check with your Finance department.

Thanks

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

Is it standard alone Goods return document? If yes, then journal entry will be posted based on item cost not based on unit price of the document.

Thanks

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

The document should have been copied from the Goods Receipt, but was mistakenly created as a stand alone. Can we reverse it with the item cost that it used? How can we fix it?

Thanks so much!

Jane

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Take a backup and do inventory revaluation to adjust item cost. If its OK, then try it in LIVE DB.

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

Can you please attach the print screen of all affected documents ?

Probably there is an exchange rate difference between GRPO and Good Return. So, system will create adittional line in JE of good return to post the rate difference.

Other possibly cause is price difference account between GRPO and Good Return

Rgds,

Jim

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for your response. Can you see the below screenshot? The document total ($ 98,800.100) of the Goods Return is different than the journal entry posted (59,888.303). We only have 1 currency. The price shown on the Goods Return document is correct, but must be different than the price used for the journal entry. Not sure why and how to clear out the Goods Clearing Account.....Thanks for your help.

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

I see through the Inventory Audit report that the Goods Return posting did use a different price than what is on the Goods Return document. How can I fix this now? Please advise. Thanks.

former_member227598
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

Please follow the step by step process as mention in below :

1. Go to Administration ->System Intialization -> Document setting.

2. Click on Per document Tab.

3. Select sales Order and check box on "Reopen Doc. by Creating Returns/Goods Returns/Credit Memos Based ".

4. Click on General Tab.

5. At bottom , Entered 30 in " Display Canceled and Cancelation Marketing Documents in Reports" feilds.

6.Update

7.Open the Goods Return Document .

8. Right Click And Select the Cancel option then Add the Documents.

9. Then you will find the Goods Receipts Po Documents are Open status.

10. Then You Create the Goods returns with correct value.

I hope this will help you

Rgds,

Kamlesh Naware

jane_liang
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kamlesh,

Thanks for your response. I don't see #5 on the General Tab.  Entered 30 in " Display Canceled and Cancelation Marketing Documents in Reports" fields. Please advise.

former_member227598
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP B1 Version & PL No ?

former_member186095
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jane,

you must check whether the JE debit or credit amount of the good return is not as same as the total itemcost of all the items in the good return or not.

I am afraid that amount is from the itemcost of all the items in the Good Return.

Rgds,
Jimm