cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is number range unique in SAP

dhinsap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Say, I have a plant 1000 which uses document type NB and number range as 45xxxxxxxxxx0 to 45xxxxxxxxxxx99 for a domestic PO.

I have another plant 1200 which uses same doc type and same no.range for domestic PO. Both belong to the same company codes.

At any point of time, can both PO's bear the same document number or is it unique.

During STO, will there be any problem referencing the PO? or should i create a new document type for both plants.

Thanks

Dhinesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Number range is defined at document type level. So in your case of two plants under same company code. There is no chance that you will have PO created with same no. in two plants.

And during STO also there will not be any issue, since again you maintain no. range based on doc type.

So no. range is irrespective of plant or company code. Its based on doc type.

If you want to have different no. range for PO of each plant, thn u need to create z doc type and have no. range assigned.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes number range should be unique and you should design number ranges-in such way that its easy to indentify the purchasing documents and help the business for reporting! When procurement processes are different for material/service, you can use document type concept to diffrentiate all procurement process.

So as procurement processes are differs,you can have different purchasing document types,such as are:

Procurement process---Purchase Order Document type--- Numbering
Domestic( material)-------ZNB---------------------------------------------4500000000 -4599999999
Import---------------------------ZIMP------------------------------------------4700000000 -4799999999
STO------------------------------ZSTO------------------------------------------4800000000 -4899999999
Sub-Contracting-------------ZSCO------------------------------------------4900000000 -4999999999
Service -------------------------ASER------------------------------------------5000000000 -5099999999

Regards,

Biju K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In standard there is no possible PO Doc type can refer to the same running number.

At the PO Header table, EKKO only manage Doc Number as a unique key.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Number Ranges will be same if you are using same document type. Because you are going to enter all the details of company, Sloc, plants after choosing a document type in PO/PR.

So SAP suggests you to have a single Document for even different company codes since you can take reports on Plants/company codes.

If you want to differentiate between the Document type itself then you can have with same number range or different one also.

Thanks,

Shiva

dhinsap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information shiva but the reply is quite confusing. Please put it ina nutshell.

1.can i use same doc and no range or not

2.if yes, both plants will have a po number say 45----2.

during STO, if the other plant ships a diff qty, willa confusion arise for the receiver.

3. Is it a SAP standard that a number can only be unique in entire SAP solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This requirement based on your client requirement.

It would be easy to recognise if you have two different document types and different number ranges.

I would suggest you to go with different number ranges because it will avoid confusion within the endusers who will use SAP.

But in standard even if use same number ranges it is possible to fetch the reports based on plants or company codes.

Thanks,

Shiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the number ranges are assigned document types, so better to yuo create z document type and assign new created number ranges its use plant based or senario(STO) based.