cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRC

Former Member
0 Kudos

You guys never tought about an IRC Channel which would make the communication much faster ?

Let say irc.undernet.org #SB1SDK (Sap Business One SDK)

This is an example. Let me know

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J-P,

I think this is a briliant Idea. How can something like this be done and who will control it?

What about eu.undernet.org #SB1SDK ??

Message was edited by: Noor Jooma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds nice, but I'm afraid it is not very practical. For small/quick questions yes, but for complex questions...?

Mostly there are pieces of code in these topics. Sending larger pieces of code accross IRC is not efficient. If you want to type a piece of code, you'll have to type it in notepad, and paste it in IRC, because otherwise other people could 'talk' through your code...

And also, when it's in a forum, it's searchable. Now you can search for a similar problem, and don't have to wait. With IRC there is no (or little) history and you alsways have to wait if someone can help.

Also, From the point of when a user logs on, he/she doesn't know what other people did ask before, and maybe does that person know the correct answer. With a forum, that person reads the title, and replies...

Just some points, I don't think it's very usefull for the most problems that come around here.

Kind regards,

Rowdy

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Sounds nice, but I'm afraid it is not very practical.

> For small/quick questions yes, but for complex

> questions...?

>

> Mostly there are pieces of code in these topics.

> Sending larger pieces of code accross IRC is not

> efficient. If you want to type a piece of code,

> you'll have to type it in notepad, and paste it in

> IRC, because otherwise other people could 'talk'

> through your code...

>

> And also, when it's in a forum, it's searchable. Now

> you can search for a similar problem, and don't have

> to wait. With IRC there is no (or little) history and

> you alsways have to wait if someone can help.

>

> Also, From the point of when a user logs on, he/she

> doesn't know what other people did ask before, and

> maybe does that person know the correct answer. With

> a forum, that person reads the title, and replies...

>

> Just some points, I don't think it's very usefull for

> the most problems that come around here.

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Rowdy

There's something called cut/paste web based service which you can paste your code and give us just the link in irc. and it even formats the code according to the language of your choice.

Second, People dont come to read what was before but 99% come to ask a question and talk to friendly people. all in all, this is the perfect place to have FAST feedback !

Hope this clear things up.

Hey Noor, that would be all right. All we need is a request to the sdn team so we can have a permanent channel on eu.undernet.org or a server of their choice.

I will ask them if it is possible and I'll let you know guys. People will not be forced to go there just those you have an urgent question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I am using the mIRC to chat to buddies around the world. It is a very informal approach to communicating via internet chats. mIRC has easy "Private Chat" features and the chat history is logged and recorded so there is the option to view history on Privates but not on a main channel. There is also the option to send files via DCC. All things concidered, mIRC is not fully capable of handling the full requirements. For Quick personal conversations and queries, it fine.

There is also MSN that has features already available that can cater for "<u><b>Application Sharing</b></u>" and "<u><b>Remote Assistant</b></u>", "Voice", "WebCam" amoung others. MSN>Actions>Start an Activity...><i>Choose a Contact</i>. This offers a better option to communication between consultants and the possible interaction Use Cases. There is a feature lacking, and that is a Main Channel, which could Spawn a Demand for a "24hr Always Available" Conference, that can be joined into by all consultants around the world to have live cross communication. The other feature that lacks is the view to all the Consultant's Allias/Nicks/Contacts. This could be solved by creating a "Pinned Thread" or a Link on the SDN SB1 Forum to a page where all interested consultants can paste their Allias/Nicks/Contacts and have a Button to Automatically add the user to the MSN Contact List.

This I believe will make good use of existing infrustructure and require very little "Development" and "Investments". Its just the publishing of Contact details that need to be managed on SAP Side.

This is just a suggestion and I was wondering what you guys think of it?