Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reverse a posted depreciation

sridhar_madiraju
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Could you please help me how to reverse a posted depreciation for planned as well as unplanned.?

In one of the answers, I came to understand that we can use the Repeat run radio button in AFAB to post the depreciation. (for Planned)

Will it overwrite the already posted depreciation for that month and repost a new depreciation? If not what is the purpose of repeat run button.

Please reply to me as soon as possible.Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Sridhar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

HI Sridhar,

We can't reverse the posted depreciation. This is right that a Accounting document is associated with every AFAB run but it does not mean that reversing the accounting document(Created in FI) will also reverse the depreciation posted in FI-AA.

The only thing that we can do is change the depreciation key for Book Depreciation area to 0000 (No Depreciation) and then run the AFAB. In this way you can cancel the depreciation posted previously with the newly depreciation posted.

Repeat Run :

Example : You have posted depreciation for one year.Now you have changed some depreciation terms. During a repeat posting run, the system only posts the differences that resulted between the first posting run and the repeat posting run (no double posting/ overwrite).

Thanks,

Inder.

sridhar_madiraju
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Guneetinder,

I am bit confused with your explanation.

From your 1st explantaion if we change the dep key to zero depreciation, and run afab it will cancel the posted depreciation (here should we check repeat run?)

From your 2nd explanation if we check repeat posting run, it will post the difference

means  x amount to 0 amt(after 2nd time dep key setting) so the difference is x amt means after rerun the dep amt will be 2x.

Is it so?

I got 1 more doubt when we use repeat posting run?  what is its significance if we [dont check/check] it.

Regards,

Sridhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you read the help on that field?  Have you read the online documentation regarding the options?  They're both extensive and provide good information.

-nathan

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member

Hi Sridhar,

For Depreciation posted in SAP we have accounting document posted for that Financial year. If you can find the accounting document and reverse it, the depreciation will be reversed in FI.

The purpose of repeat run button is to post the depreciation if the T-code has been executed and the run was terminated in the middle. If you do repeat run it will pick the asset from which it was terminated and then post the depreciation for the balance assets.

Regards

Mukesh

narasimhulu_konnipati
Active Contributor

Please look into the below

1. Was that a single asset you posted depreciation through AFAB? If yes, find the document through AB03 and reverse it through AB08.If there were many assets posted, then post depreciation write-up through ABZU if you have accumulated depreciation from previous years.

2. Please keep in mind that when you change the Dep. kep from XYZ to 0000 and run the depreciation, system will reverse the depreciation from posted values to ZERO for all open periods.

You should be very careful in doing this.

Thanks

Marssel700
Active Contributor

Dear,

1 - you can change reconcilitation accounting indicator in OAMK and post reversal amount by F-02 or FB01.

2 - Post to specific reversal amount Asset Record by ABF1. (PK 75, off set acc: 40)

3 - Go to SE16, enter document number in table: BKPF. Change field BKPF-AWTYP = BKPF. Go to FB08 and reverse.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You can reverse FI Document generated while posting Depreciation using T-COde AFAB by, T-COde FB08 or you can reverse using T-Code FBRA.

If you want to reverse Asset Documents then the same can be done using T-Code AB08.

Regards,
Malhar Jain.

former_member222730
Participant
0 Kudos

Actually in Asset Accounting we cannot reverse posted depreciation.we have only one option only i.e re valuate the values.

former_member245440
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frd,

Go to the AB08 reversal of dep document.First check the a/c document. and click on the reverse of the document.

Regards

reddyrreddyr

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Once posted depriciation cannot be reversed. Only you will be able to recalculate with new value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi i think once posted the deprecition we can not the reversal.

sridhar_madiraju
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Thanks for your many replies.

Now i have one doubt can we reverse the depreciation in many ways as i got the answers from you as

1. credit the depreciation a/c and debit the acc. depreciation a/c in f-02

2. use 0000 dep key to do rerun of depreciation for nullifying

3. Check the document in AB03 and reverse it using AB08.

Or any conditions for using a particular method. Please help me.

Regards,

Sridhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

As stated previously we can't reverse the depreciation!!!!!!!!!!! like the way we use to reverse the normal document through FB08 or AB08 ETC. We can just convert the depreciation value to Zero.

With the first option: You can balance the depreciation posted previously by again posting reverse entries in FI but you won't be able to see depreciation equals to 0 in AW01N or in FI-AA.

Second option: No doubt in this... it will balance the FI and FI-AA both. as shown previously with screenshots.

Third option: System will not update the depreciation document for particular asset under AB03 or AB08. So we can't reverse it.

I have posted depreciation to one asset and when i am checking AB03 or AB08 that Depreciation document is not avaibable in FI-AA but available in FI under Document type AF.

According to me Second one is the easiest way to do this.

Thanks,

Inder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per standard SAP practice I would suggest you not to do any changes in existing system like master data and all else you will land up getting you data messed up.

SAP suggests that if by mistake you have posted some incorrect depreciation to an asset you can correct it by T. Code ABZU which posts up a write for that asset and document goes in FI as well as AA.

Suppose you calc -1000 Dep for 12 period for asset 12345 and you wanted to calc only 500.

Go ABZU give asset details, select required transaction type (defines from which type of depreciation area you want to correct) and enter figure as +500 in required depreciation area and save it. It will post + 500 in asset and decrease depreciation expense 500 by and accumulated dep account by 500, thus neutralizing the effect.

FI:

Depreciation act: -500

Acc Dep act: +500

AA:

Asset 12345 : +500

No other transaction or repeat run can acheive this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do not play with SAP Standard. Reverse only from ABZU

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's what i said?

You changed your name...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

U can reverse the depreciation posted in FI, delete the reconcilation  indicator for the GL account in Tx- OAMK and post a reversal entry through f-02. Cr the Depreciation acc and Dr the reconciliation acc.

sridhar_madiraju
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Vinoth Kumar,

Which GL account will be in OAMK tcode. For my case, I have 3 accounts

1.Buildings A/c.

2.Accumulated depreciation on Buildings A/c.

3. Depreciation on Buildings A/c.

From your reply, we need to remove the reconcilation indicator for the GL account in Tx- OAMK. Please help me.

Further do we need to maintain recon account type as Assets for depreciation and Accumulated depreciation.

Thanks and regards,

Sridhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

All 3  GL accounts will b in the OAMK. S remove the reconciliation indicator in OAMK. once u post the entries in F-02 r FB01 go back to OAMK and set reconciliation indicator.