cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to estimate effort (ABAP part) in technical upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I am involving in a technical upgrade project. I need to calculate efforts for replacing obsolete FM, syntax, ... (R/3 4.6C -> ECC6) for a list of program.

Could anyone show me how to do that? (I mean how I calculate how many days to replace all obsoletes in a program)

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where can I download Panaya tool? Could you please provide me a link?

Thanks.

former_member434229
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kebab,

1. Check out this link:

http://www.panayainc.com/SAP-Upgrade-ECC-6.0-Upgrade-SAP-Testing-Planning-Assessment.html

But there is cost attached to it.

2. You method of estimation is correct, you need to segregate the program depend on the complexity. For the number of program you have mentioned, it should not exceed 7-8 working days.

Regards,

Ni3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Panaya provides a full service. You will get task-lists with every FM, program, role etc ... which shows you exactly what has to be adapted: on code-level!! Some of your programs can be auto-adapted by the Panaya tool.

The tool will also be able to find and handle your clones (copies from SAP-standard programs to a customer-namespace) and make proposals for adapting, resp. auto-adapting them, too. (All on code level).

I have just finished an upgrade with Panaya. I can really recommend them - it's a big help in planning and subsequently reducing costs.

Panaya makes customer contracts for an SaS, so you extract your repository (not DDIC) and upload it on their site and 48 hours later you have the tasks/updated tasks. Their price for their services is very reasonable - you are likely to save the cost for their services in reducing adjustment-time/money.

And no - I am not a Panaya salesperson 😄

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your answers.

I would like to know more details.

For ex: I have a list of 39 program need to check unicode and replace obsolete fms, syntax. I divide into 3 levels: easy, medium, difficult.

Easy level: limited obsolete syntax, <10 obsolete FMs, and replaced FMs doesn't not take many efforts to replace (not many additional input, ...) -> 1 program / 1 manday

Medium: 10-20 obsolete FMs

I don't know whether my estimate method is correct. If you have done a similar project, could you show me your method?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You'd get someone whom understand your program to do estimation job.

Simple modification adjustment might need 1 hour or less, but complicated one can runs for couple of weeks...

you need take care of both modification (SE95) and Z programs.

former_member434229
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kebab,

The effort time varies depend on number of object you are going to adjust, also it do come down as proceed to the next level (Dev-> Quality -> Production). In my Upgrade project, it took approximately 5 working days to complete the activity in Dev system for 2 senior resources. To get the object list, execute transaction SE95.

Again, if your project is using Panaya tool for upgrade activity, it drastically reduces the time as it provides information on various objects and the changes to be made.

Regards,

Ni3