cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i increase the length of material description

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

my client wants to increase the length of material description (MAKT Table) form 40 cha

how can it possible to increse the description

plz guide me

K.Raghuram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member192897
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In Standard SAP Material Description field length is 40 Charecters Only.

If you want to Maintain More than this then use Basic Data Text or Purchase Order text which can be further retrieved thru FM READ_TEXT in SE37.

These are Stored in Tables STXH and STXL.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

long description can be maintained in basic data text, or purchase order text.

The short description is 40 only an cannot be extended.

If you want an alternative "short description" with more space, then you should set up classification and enter the description there.

With standard F4 search help it is possible to search on a classification, so you dont need to develope anything extra for a search, however in reports you will only get the 40 charcters short text, and you would need to modify reports if you really want more.

channa_kallu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hence i dont know how to give u a link, i am doing copy & paste of the replies from SAP Learner & Ashok kumar.

B/regds,

CB

hi

the dscription u can give it in basic data text

but retriving that will be difficult

it is to be done by ur abaper using the functional module read_text with help of tables STXH and STXL are used to store long text in SAP.

now plz consult ur abaper for this

refer following

http://sap.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/sap-dev/long-text-192036?cv=expanded

regards

KI

You can Use additional data Basic Data Text or Purchase Order Text.

Long Texts are Stored in STXH & STXL Tables and the Same can be Retrieved thru FM READ_TEXT in SE37. Communicate your abaper Once......

kunal_ingale
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

u can use the field of basic text for long description but to retrive it in the std trsnsaction is not possible

if userch on net u will get many results

refer

regards

KI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In standard SAP it is not possible. If required you can speak with yourtechnical team to increase the feild length or you can maintain the description in purchasing order text tab of master data.

Regards,

Abhee.