cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having both Monthly payroll & Weekly payroll

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Our Payroll system is configured to run payroll monthly. Whilst at present it would seems that a weekly payroll process would be more efficient for NI purposes, the cost to build such a system may out weigh the benefits as we see them at present. Hence our client requests the possibility of running a weekly payroll for specific employees.

Could anyone please help out me with the following questions?

1) Can we convert the existing monthly run employees to weekly run?

2) Will there be any problem in payroll system having both monthly and weekly systems?

3) Can single employee be run both monthly and weekly? I don't think this is possible as there will be confusion in the results.

4) I think we have to re-check / re-implement the new configuration for weekly payroll regarding Sick pay, Maternity and other areas.

5) Can we use the same FI posting configuration for weekly payroll, which was already existing for monthly?

6) Is weekly payroll configuration entirely differs from monthly payroll configuration?

The above are the basic questions, which flashed in my mind, could anybody please collate further questions/answers to the above list.

Thanks in advance,

Purandhar P

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Purundhar!

Here are the answers for your answers.

1) Can we convert the existing monthly run employees to weekly run?

ans) Yea. It can be run but you need to configure the corresponding and equal pay roll periods also.

2) Will there be any problem in payroll system having both monthly and weekly systems?

ans:) Three shouldnt be any problem. For example in in Indian scenario, generallly daily wage earners are paid weekly (production labour) and ADMN employees are paid monthly and for both these groups of employees, pay roll run can be run in the same system.

3) Can single employee be run both monthly and weekly? I don't think this is possible as there will be confusion in the results.

ans) This may not be possible as it confilcts with pay roll periodicity.

4) I think we have to re-check / re-implement the new configuration for weekly payroll regarding Sick pay, Maternity and other areas.

ans) yea... you need to recheck them intrems of their weekly rates etc.,,

5) Can we use the same FI posting configuration for weekly payroll, which was already existing for monthly?

Ans) Yea it can be used..

6) Is weekly payroll configuration entirely differs from monthly payroll configuration?

ans: not much.. pay roll periods woould be more and valuation of some wage types interms of weekly peroidicity.

regards

rao

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can have more than one type of payroll in your system. We currently have some employees on monthly payroll and some on biweekly payroll. They are set up in separate payroll areas. I don't think you can run someone for both weekly payroll and monthly payroll at the same time, and I'm not sure why you would want to do that. But if you set up the two payroll areas, then you can delmit the person's org assignment infotype record with the old payroll area and create a new record with the new payroll area. When we have someone switching from biweekly payroll to monthly payroll, we have the new payroll area start as of the beginning of a month and then run an off-cycle payment to pay the person for the remainder of the biweekly time (from the beginning of his last biweekly pay period to the end of that month). I hope this helps.

- April King

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the early reply, and appreciated for this useful reply.

Now, I am able to do some impact analysis on the existing system and also wants to extend our discussion as I am not confortable with weekly payroll.

1) Have basic doubt that where is the point of control to decide the payroll run is weekly/monthly.?

2) how to maintain the weekly control records, as I know only for monthly? can we use the same PA03 transaction ? But, can't see how to control weekly periods. Any help would be greately appreciated.

my mind is not flashing accurate questions/requirements for setting up weekly payroll ...Ofcourse it is big task and should be well designed to implement.

Thanks

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For both 1 & 2 , Payroll Area is the point of control.. the period parameter of the Payroll area determines if its a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly payroll.. pl take a look at the table T549A. You can maintain this table via SM30/31 in the view V_T549A.

~Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the IMG under Payroll --> Basic Settings --> Payroll Organization:

1) Define Period Modifier - check for a Weekly one.

Assign new payroll accounting areas to period modifier - This is where you determine how your payroll area is paid (weekly or monthly). After this is set, when you create the control record it will automatically know that a pay period is weekly. You will also need to generate your weekly pay periods.

2) Yes. You use PA03 for control records for all payroll areas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your help !!

I have forgotten the basic things in payroll

Now, I will try to setup the new system in my sandbox.

-Regards,

Purandhar P

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Yes. You will need to create a new payroll area and move the employees you want to be paid weekly to this new payroll area.

2. No. We currently have associates paid Monthly and other associates paid bi-weekly. As I said in my answer for #1, you will just need two payroll areas.

3. I do not believe you can have a single employee run both monthly and bi-weekly because you can only assign him to one payroll area. If the weekly pay is just for bonuses or additional payments, you may be able to process him through off-cycle runs.

4. Yes.

5. Off the top of my head, I think you will be able to use the same FI posting configuration for weekly and monthly. I believe posting is posting, but you might want to check into it a little bit.

6. Not entirely different. Some things may be set up at least similarly.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Mary