cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional consultant knowledge

DDC
Participant

Hi all,

Guys please, I have some questions and I really will appreciate if you can help me with this.

1- As a functional SD consultant is necessary to describe on my functional specification if and interface for example will use an BAPI? if is, I need to specify which one?

2-As a functional consultant I need to know when is necessary to use a BADI or it's responsibility to technical team?

Kind regards

View Entire Topic
DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor

Hello danielcostaceo

To me, BAPIs and BAdIs fall into the gray zone between functional and technical realms. On one hand side they are development objects, they require ABAP knowledge. By definition BAdIs are outside of standard functionality - they are meant to enhance standard. However, on the other hand, they are tightly linked to standard functionality, which they either interface to or enhance. They are not stand alone development objects. Therefore in my opinion a seasoned functional consultant should be aware of them, know what can be achieved with them, even if the functional consultant doesn't really have to implement enhancement by itself. Otherwise the functional consultant capabilities are limited. They would be like a sport car using just two gears - they would never get to full speed.

Personally I believe that the best consultants are those that cross the boundaries between functional areas as well as between what is functional and what is technical; those that think and act in an integrated way.

Best regards

Dominik Tylczynski

DDC
Participant

Hi Dominik, thanks a lot for your effort to clarify this points.

Now, I can have a clear vision about this and start to learning about it. Because I agree 100% with you after read your arguments.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Daniel