Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIFO Material movement with Documentary batch

Former Member
0 Kudos

FIFO Material movement with Documentary batch

Dear all

My client has documentary batch implemented, now they want FIFO material movement to be implemented for IM managed plants and WM managed plants.

Kindly let me know the configurations please

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have a way to determine the oldest stock then you can of course do a movement including documentary batch functionality, but documentary batches cannot be used for batch determination to ensure FIFO.

Documentary batches do also not separate stock which would be needed to know which part of the stock is the oldest.

So you can only store the different receipts of a material apart from each other in different bins in WM and can then use the WM option to determine the oldest stock, or you need real batch management for your purpose.

Read the pros and cons of documentary batches in http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/0019ae49-f6ce-2910-8fbd-dcb5ae86a...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Juergen

But my client is very specific that he does not want to go for the real batch management.But wants to implement FIFO material movement with documentary batch. Is there a possibility please let me know

Thank you once again

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just put the stock of 2 receipts of one material with documentary batches into one storage location, do you then see 1 stock line or 2 stock lines?

if it is just 1 stock line then how would you ever be able to know which part is the oldest?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen

Receipts through 5 MIGOs is giving only one line item as in a non batch managed material

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen

Can you please give me the full set of configuration for FIFO material movement,
I have done the configuration for Batch management

Thank you

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please search SCN as it is countless times explained in blogs and document and wikis how to setup a batch determination / batch search strategy. it is also available in help.sap.com without pictures.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Material is maintained as documentary batch with external batch numbers.

The attachment is the extract of MCH1 table with batch number and batch creation date, with this data can we do a FIFO for this specific material.

Thanks in advance

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let us assume batch 5012A would be the oldest and shall be picked, how would you do that if you have no batches in MMBE for your stock? How would you do that outside in the warehouse, how could a worker identify the stock that has batch 5012A?

Former Member
0 Kudos

why not with the receipt date and batch numbers in ascending orders, defined in the sort sequence

though still the batch numbers are externally assigned

will this work

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have no labels on the goods  then nobody will be able to find the right stock physically in the warehouse, which means any theoretical option is just turned useless if that is not in place.

Also does a batch determination usually do an availability check, just to prevent that the same batch is assigned to several sales orders and deliveries, for this you would need to have the stock information per batch in your system. If you don't have that then you can't prevent that from happening. How will you ever know when all stock from batch 5012A is gone?

Answers (0)