Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields in Fixed Asset master for existing, in use assets

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone give an overview of which all fields to enter in the Asset Master, for existing, in-use assets; while first using the Fixed Asset module in SAP.

I am not looking for DTW template or Import from Excel template. Just the steps, if someone were to enter it manually in SAP.

For existing assets, in which fields do we enter the original asset value, current book value and accumulated depreciation as on SAP go-live date? How do we record the capitalization of existing old asset in SAP FA module?

What is the difference between "Historical APC" and "Acquisition and Production Costs"?

If someone can give example of 1 or 2 assets with some date and amount values, it will be easier to understand.

I have already read this document: Fixed Asset SAP Business One 9.0 Configuration

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are two things.

First you enter your opening balance of asset GLs via opening balance form.

Second you import your existing asset via import from excel or DTW. Import of assets won't effect your GL  balance at all. But it has to be work out as matching with GL. So next time when you run depreciation run it will record as per companies current asset register.

You need to involve their account who are handling asset register.

Regards,

Chintan

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

As I said in my question, I do not want to know how to use DTW or Import from Excel at this stage. I just want to know in which fields to enter what value for existing, in-use assets.

Once I understand that, I can understand DTW or Import from Excel much easily.

Can you help me with the fields for:

Original asset value, book value as on go live date, accumulated depreciation as on SAP go-live date? How do we record the capitalization of existing old asset in SAP FA module?

What is the difference between "Historical APC" and "Acquisition and Production Costs"?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

too many questions in single thread against SCN policy.

Either you can capture asset from asset capitalization date from past. For that you need to create many posting period. and year transfer as well. Or you can just import first day of beginning of current financial year. So all ledger detail up to previous year after calculating of depreciation.

APC - Ordinary depreciation = Net book value or Historical net book value

Historical APC doesn't need actually

As you are aware about import, I am not sending you screen shot of import file.

Regards,

Chintan

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

I understand multiple questions not allowed in single thread. But in this case, my question is related to 4 or 5 fields of Asset Master, which are inter-connected.

I need a little more detailed help, Chintan.

Can you tell me more about the 2nd approach? If I do not capture the asset capitalization from the past, then how do I change the Asset Status from New to Active? I guess I will have to enter the Capitalization document. But then how will the asset clearing account get knocked off?

Then how should I enter APC? The field is disabled. Only Historical APC field is enabled, but you are saying that this field is not needed.

Again I repeat I want to know the steps without using DTW or Import option.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

I don't understand why do you not want to go with the flow and want to do something opposite which create problems later on.

What will you do with capitalization formation expense. That GL will not clear itself then. How do you knock of it?

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

Actually I have not used the FA module before and just trying to understand it.

When you say "why do you not want to go with the flow", my question is with respect to understand the flow itself !!

I want to understand the steps or the flow for creating an existing, in-use fixed asset master.

I am not saying that I will enter the Capitalization document; rather I am asking whether I should enter the Capitalization document. If not, then how the asset state will change from New to Active.

Can you just tell me the steps of filling the fields in Asset master manually one by one for an existing fixed asset which has been in use for several years, if I were to start using SAP's FA module now.

If you can tell the fields and some example values and steps how to enter it, it will be really helpful for me to understand.

Or are you saying that dtw or import from excel is the only way?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

What I suggest you That you import assets. Import asset means those are old assets. New asset you will purchase through purchase cycle.

Don't create capitalization document for old asset.

I am assuming you are going to go live soon.

Let me know if you need screen shot for importing asset with excel sheet and how it looks like after import.

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. Please send me screenshot for importing asset with excel sheet, and how it looks after import.

If possible, please also attach your Excel sheet in this thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not possible to attach file here.

now after import see the effect on first row

Now see the 2nd year for the same item.

When you Import do it with 1 asset in test company. Remove the header of the excel file and save it as TXT format. and make sure year to select while importing.

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

This is really helpful ! Many thanks !

If you can just answer a few more questions with respect to above screenshots, I will be done

Sorry, but I think its not possible to break this question into multiple threads on forum.

A few things:

1. In Excel file, the depreciation is 28032.

In the screenshot of 1st year, the depreciation is 29020, which will come AFTER depreciation of 1st year. I guess in your database, you have already run the depreciation for 2013 14, otherwise it would have shown 28032 as in the Excel file, am I right?

2. Secondly, do we not capture the date when the asset was acquired? You have mentioned capitalization date as 01.04.2013 with accumulated depreciation of 28032. Obviously the asset has been in use for several years, that is why this much accumulated depreciation. So are you saying that no need to enter the original date or acquisition and no need to depreciate from the initial acquisition date? Basically, you are telling to put capitalization equal to SAP go live date, and provide values as on that date, am I right?

3. Thirdly, will the process be any different if I were to start using SAP FA module in the middle of a month or middle of a year?

4. Fourthly, you have mentioned both Useful Life and Remaining Life as same. Is this a mistake?

Thanks a ton!

Former Member
0 Kudos

1 that is accumulated depreciation after import. so it calculate it itself.

2 yes you can capture if required. depreciation start date and capitalization date can be different. you understood right. Match with sap go live date.

3 You need to calculate figure in that case. depends on you are going with days of months in initial settings. There shouldn't be any problem. It works out how you set up rules.

4 In my case i have captured from asset capitalized date. so that date both will remain same. next year useful life will be same but remaining life will be less.

Run your scenario in test company and check every query you may have.

Best of luck.

rajesh_khater
Active Participant
0 Kudos

With respect to your reply to Point 4, if you have captured from asset capitalized date and useful life = remaining life, then how come so much accumulated depreciation?

Obviously the asset has been in use for several months / years, that is why this depreciation figure and if so, then remaining life can not be equal to useful life ... can you clarify?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends how you bring asset on books. We are starting new system and we are telling new system that now you take care of asset. If depends basically how you want to set up.

Answers (0)