cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External numbers for Equipment

former_member431412
Participant
0 Kudos

We are considering using external numbers for equipment. About half the team thinks we should not use them. The other half thinks we should. We want to know what kind of problems occur if we choose to use external numbering for equipment.

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member223813
Contributor
0 Kudos

Tracking of equipment becomes a manual task and u need to maintain a separate excel or log for it.Person while creating Equipment might do some mistake and thus data size increases.

former_member431412
Participant
0 Kudos

Every piece of equipment has a Tag # that is unique. We intend to use it as the equipment #. Does that eliminate the need to manually track equipment numbers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scott,

If everyone is familiar with identifying the equipment numbers by their existing legacy ID,it would be prudent to set up your equipment master with the same number.

Most of the time, the data isnt clean and or there are different parts of the company handle it in different way or there is duplicate value when all business areas are migrated into SAP or its voluminous, then we result in using internal number range for cleaner and better management and using one of the fields like TechID to hold the legacy value.

Regards

Narasimhan

former_member431412
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for that response.

For our one plant, I think external numbers are safe. however, we may have additional plants. I suppose there may be a chance that some tag number could be duplicated. Is it correct to assume we should avoid duplicates accross all plants and companies. If so, then I think it would be best to use internal numbers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scott,

The equipment number will have to be unique in SAP.We cannot have duplicate numbers in SAP. So, any duplciate records will be dropped during the conversion process , irrespective of internal or external number range being used.

You can use a blended model, where you can have some plants use internal number range and some plants use external number range. Once you go this direction who will have to use Authorization and/or additional validations and/or additional configurations(Bycreating different Equipment category maybe) to prevent errors in data entry.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Narasimhan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott Farestrand ,

I would say, Its all depends on your business process and requirement and How its run.

If it is for limited location may be external Numbering will help, but then team has to keep the track of Number used, and you need to manage by authorization or will get irritated by messages.

I would prefer to go with internal numbering range ( If its suites to your business ) ,

Riyaj