cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Rates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We are currently looking to have an automatic feed of exchange rates run through our system. Prior to doing that, I'd like to clean up the exchange rates that are currently out there.

1. The business manually inputs both indirect and direct for currencies, meaning that for USD > EUR, they may enter direct as 1.5 and then EUR > USD as indirect 1.5. I haven't a clue why it was configured this way nor do they understand the reasoning behind it. They were told to do that a few years ago and have simply continued. Is there somewhere that I can have one or the other as a mandatory field rather than having both input? Can anyone explain why this would ever need to be done in the first place?

2. We also currently have an alternative exchange rate (EURX) tied to the M Rate, which is used for everything. The business maintains both the EURX as well as the M exchange rate types. To remove this, would it be as simple as going to IMG>>SAP Netweaver>>General Settings>>Currencies>>Check Exchange Rate Types and then removing the reference currency "EUR" from both EURX as well as EURO? Would I further need to remove/delete the entries in OB08 that referred to EURX?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

first of all I suggest to read SAPNET notes 783877, 116073 which explains a lot regarding currency translation, indirect/direct rates,...

2nd before you change something ensure that your future process is properly defined. Check especially if it is possible/allowed to use a reference currency for currency translation (as this minimizes the necessary OB08 entries dramatically).

3rd let the old entries in OBBS / OB08 as they are; there might be cases where you will need them (eg a later installed Business Warehouse needs historical FX rates for some currency conversion purposes...)

4th as you said in point 2 for both ex rate types EURX and M FX rates are maintained (OB08), this has NOTHING to do with the reference currency EUR but is a result of a SAP system that was EURO-converted (before ex rate type M was used, after conversion EURX should be used).

You can see this in OBBS where all the currency relations have either an alternative ex rate type EURO or EURX assigned (for details SAPNET note 91481).

If an OBBS entry (eg "M") is linked to an alternative ex. rate type (eg EURX) the maintenance of OB08 for this "M" entry is senseless.

5th define a date in the future where your new process should "go live" (eg the 31.05.2001). Define every pair of needed OBBS entries for this particular valid-from date to identify this entries easier later on, it is helpful. Also the first OB08 entries should have this date as a valid-from date.

I am not sure if thats all, but I guess its enough for the moment, best regards, Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Peter

Could you please help me on this.

We have situation here where we normally download the currency exchange rates into excel spreadsheet on the last day of every month and then make required corrections and upload excel file using Z transaction into SAP. Sofar we have no issues since last couple of years but since last 2 months we have got massive errors inthe SAP System and we dont know what could be the reason.

For which i have been asked to provide a proper design with controls to recommend a new designed process or to continue with the current process with corrections.

I request experts to help me in designing and controls.

We have the existing process as follows :

1. Obtain rates the website (external)

2. download into excel file

3. upload excel file into SAP

4. upload rates into SAP

5. SAP Upload Confirmation

6. update intranet with rates

7. confirmation of SAP Update and intranet update

Can the experts help me with your comments on new process design (if required) and controls please......

Best Regards

MB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Christian

We have situation here where we normally download the currency exchange rates into excel spreadsheet on the last day of every month and then make required corrections and upload excel file using Z transaction into SAP. Sofar we have no issues since last couple of years but since last 2 months we have got massive errors inthe SAP System and we dont know what could be the reason.

For which i have been asked to provide a proper design with controls to recommend a new designed process or to continue with the current process with corrections.

I request experts to help me in designing and controls.

We have the existing process as follows :

1. Obtain rates the website (external)

2. download into excel file

3. upload excel file into SAP

4. upload rates into SAP

5. SAP Upload Confirmation

6. update intranet with rates

7. confirmation of SAP Update and intranet update

Can the experts help me with your comments on new process design (if required) and controls please......

Best Regards

MB

Answers (0)