Could someone please help me with the following:
My customer has a large amount of assets under construction (AuC) and also other assets. None of the assets under consctruction should have a depreciation key (or depreciation key 0000) and no depreciation accounts are allocated in transaction AO93 for AuC . But my customer now has incorrectly created a few AuC (that should NOT be depreciated at all) with depreciation key LINK. What happened?
1) Test run depreciation (AFAB) for all assets in period 1 during 2010. In test run no error log was created, everything looked fine.
2) Executed depreciation in background.
3) When looking at each of the assets in transaction AW01N I can see that all assets (both real assets and AuC with depreciation key) has depreciation posted in period 1. BUT, no depreciation has been posted in general ledger on any of the asset classes!
4) I have now changed the depreciation key on all AUC in AS02 to 0000 so that no depreciation will be calculated.
5) Trying to run AFAB again for period 2 but error message says that period 1 was terminated and that period 1 should be restarted.
6) Trying to run period 1 again in AFAB with restart but error message says "Account 'Acc.dep. accnt.for ordinary depreciation' could not be found for area 01" and refering to all of the incorrect AuC that I have corrected (to no depreciation key)
Please how can I go on? I want to reverse the depreciation in period 1 since I didn't get any posting i the general ledger. And then I want to make a new depreciation run only with correct assets (only depreciation on real assets, not on AuC).
I am very thankful for any help!
Many many thanks in advance!
I had the similar situation couple of months back. I followed below mentioned process and it worked out well.
1) Maintain GL account for depreciation in AO90
2) restart depreciation run for the relevant period
3) change the depreciation key to 0000
4) repeat depreciation run for the same period (It will post a reverse entry in the same month itself. So the net impact of depreciation in the same month is zero).
By the way I have a suggestion to prevent this issue in future.
You may not be able to detect this issue on test run if you execute on foreground mode because the test run execution is restricted to 1000 assets. If the error is on 1001th asset, you will not know.
Hence, always execute depreciation test run on background mode, check for any errors and execute production run only if there are no errors.
Hope this helps....
at first the account (described in the erro rmessage) has to be maintained (AO90)
After that a restart has to be done.
If the depr. run was sucsesfull you can change the depr. key to 0, but at first you have to maintain the account even if it is a dummy account. The posted depr. will be reversed if you run the next depr. run wit depr. key "0000".