cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering of project budget

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am struggeling a bit on how to allocate budgets against projects or cost centres. Has anybody worked with project budgets and has a solution?

Helge

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes... Ive set this up for projects and profitcodes.

I use the standard scenario process as exists normally in B1 and I use a completely new set of customised reports (as unfortunately B1 budget reports dont support profit code and project code). To support the complilation of own reports I use a view to reformat the OBGT table so months are vertical and not horizontal.

Works well, as you can also create a budget to run across multiple projects... e.g. department b has ten project b1,b2,b3 etc. they have indiividual projects per budget (in this case I rn across a fixed range b1 to b1), in the case of the department budget I run across a range b1 to b9).

Solution I have works pretty effectively, so budget reports include not only monthly but also YTD statistics. Only downside is the limitation in the layouts (although its possible to modify this slightly if you regroup your chart of accounts).

I think SAP intends in the future to use XL reporter more for budgeting, although in my view this will not be practical before next year as you will most likely need the 2005 version of the XL reporter that supports UDF fields.

best wishes

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dave

for the hint, solution understood, I thought also about using the scenarios.

Although I find a bit awkward that you sort of break down the main budget into departmental budget, instead of consolidating upwards. But so be it.

I’ll have a look at the OBGT. Did you do that inside SBO or outside?

Cheers

Helge

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helge

Everything was done inside business one, we also have a tool that would load the budget values into the scenario (through the UI interface), you can do it now via the DI object, but when we started this was not available. The users now prefer doing it this way as it effectively enables error checking prior to posting.

You can consolidate up or down... it doesnt matter. (if you think about it you just need a naming convention). Budgets support UDF fields so you can combine the details easily. Its just a question of your SQL skills.

From a practical perspective we actually upload departmental budgets, then download & sum the departmental budgets and upload this as a separate budget. The business has found this the easiest approach. They can also then easily upload different scenarios (based on different criterias).

The relationship your looking for is based around :

FROM OBGS T0

INNER JOIN OBGT T1 ON T0.AbsId = T1.Instance

INNER JOIN OBGD T2 ON T1.BgdCode = T2.BgdCode

Best wishes

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dave,

Where do you enter the budget data for profit centers and projects?

Is this a new table, or different scenarios?

Or something else?

Thanks!

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stephen

I use a different scenario for each profit center or profit center range. At the begining it seems a little strange, but in the end its quite handy this way.

If you use both profit centers and project codes within your reporting you get a sort of matrix effect for possible combinations. The scenario can support this.

Ive done it at present in a separate table, but for example if you are using a custom queries for the reporting you could always add udf fields to the scenario and in these udf fields include the range of profit centers of which you want to run. So when you select the scenario the range of entries you will analyse in JDT1 is already specified.

Dave