cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic rooting (User Record) setting is not working in Nakisa OrgChart SP3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

The Dynamic rooting setting is not working in the Nakisa OrgChart SP3.

It is giving an error message - "Cannot find the root of your orgchart. The orgchart box may have been deleted or incorrectly specified, or no valid org structure can be found for the selected effective date. Please change the root of the chart or select another effective date."

We followed the same steps as given in the Admin guide of SP3 (P.no. 109 - shown below)

In Orgchart --> General Settings:

* Select the Org chart root value source.

User Record: Retrieves the record specified in the next step from the employee data element.

*Do one of the following to define the org chart root:

If User Record was selected in the previous step, select the field containing the ID of the required organizational object in the employee data element from the User record field drop-down list. For example, if you wish to root the org chart at the org unit of the logged-in user, select the field containing the org unit ID. Hence, we have selected the Org unit ID.

Note:

• We had enabled single sign-on with logon tickets
  • Retained the standard settings in Security Settings --> Employee Source
  • Had provided full authorization to the roles
  • If we use the "OrgChart Root" option available in 'Orgchart root value source', the org structure gets displayed correctly from the root object defined.

As this is an standard functionality, Kindly guide us in resolving the issue.

Regards

Ravindra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

In addition to Stephen's comment I would ensure that your SAP connection does not contain a username and password - this would prevent dynamic rooting working.

Also, please post the cds.log file here.

Best regards,

Luke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Luke

Clarification - as we have to include the username & password in the SAP connection configuration setting, We have included those details. How can we set up the connection without the username & password details in the connection string.

Kindly find atached the log.

There is a warning message - WARN com.nakisa.Logger - Configuration merge warning: : Right configuration is null - Merge skipped!

Regards

Ravindra

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravindra.

You don't have to and shouldn't always include the username and password parameters for the SAP Connection string.  When you omit them it will use the user's login credentials.

Remember though that:

1. The SAPRoleMappingConnection will need them included in order to get the details for the user in the first place.
  2. Without the username and password specified in a connection string you can't click the option to test the connection and result in a successful connection.  Remember unable to connect does not necessarily equate to wrongly configured.

I've filtered the log file for errors and the following entries were flagged up:

26 Jun 2012 10:00:06 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.utility.Files : deleteFile : java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file: E:\usr\sap\D15\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\Nakisa\OrgChart\servlet_jsp\OrgChart\root\.system\Admin_Config\__000__THY_SAP_Live_RFC_01\AppResources\attr.txt

26 Jun 2012 13:13:52 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.utility.Files : deleteFile : java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file: E:\usr\sap\D15\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\Nakisa\OrgChart\servlet_jsp\OrgChart\root\.system\Admin_Config\__000__THY_SAP_Live_RFC_01\AppResources\attr.txt

26 Jun 2012 13:43:49 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

26 Jun 2012 13:55:09 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.utility.Files : deleteFile : java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file: E:\usr\sap\D15\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\Nakisa\OrgChart\servlet_jsp\OrgChart\root\.system\Admin_Config\__000__THY_SAP_Live_RFC_01\AppResources\attr.txt

26 Jun 2012 14:32:03 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.utility.Files : deleteFile : java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file: E:\usr\sap\D15\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\Nakisa\OrgChart\servlet_jsp\OrgChart\root\.system\Admin_Config\__000__THY_SAP_Live_RFC_01\AppResources\attr.txt

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : The dataelement ( SAPPositionVacancyDataElement ) is not defined.

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : while trying to invoke the method com.nakisa.framework.data.Command.getType() of an object loaded from local variable 'p_cmd'

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.webelement.charting.data.ChartingData : createNodesFromData : Notes Error: NullPointerException

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : The dataelement ( SAPPositionVacancyDataElement ) is not defined.

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : while trying to invoke the method com.nakisa.framework.data.Command.getType() of an object loaded from local variable 'p_cmd'

26 Jun 2012 15:47:44 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.webelement.charting.data.ChartingData : createNodesFromData : Notes Error: NullPointerException

26 Jun 2012 15:47:48 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.webelement.charting.data.ChartingData : createNodesFromData : Notes Error: NullPointerException

26 Jun 2012 15:47:55 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : The dataelement ( SAPPositionVacancyDataElement ) is not defined.

26 Jun 2012 15:47:55 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - BAPI_SAP_OTFProcessor_LinkedDataElement : while trying to invoke the method com.nakisa.framework.data.Command.getType() of an object loaded from local variable 'p_cmd'

26 Jun 2012 15:47:55 ERROR com.nakisa.Logger  - com.nakisa.framework.webelement.charting.data.ChartingData : createNodesFromData : Notes Error: NullPointerException

At the very least it looks like SAPPositionVacancyDataElement is missing and whilst the other errors around it are unfamiliar I wonder if it might be a good first step to see if you can track down the reference to and existence of this data element?  That being said it looks like your last test occurred well over an hour after this (so you may have already resolved it) and resulted in nothing but information messages.  If that is the case it might be worth "rolling" your log file or manually trimming it to the right time frame when posting it?  Otherwise it can be misleading as people could flag up issues you have already resolved.

So assuming you haven't tried Luke's suggestion (which should only take a couple of minutes to do) I think you should go back and do so right away .

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

Just wanted to make sure that my settings related to Role mapping are correct.

Regards

Ravindra

StephenBurr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think the 2nd screenshot is correct as it includes the username and password.

Use the Data Center option in the left sidebar.  Then click Data Connections.  Check each one of these:

1. SAPRoleMappingConnection – full string including user & password - you will be able to use Test Connection to verify
  2. SAPExtractorConnection – set as per SAPRoleMappingConnection
  3. SAPConnection - set as per SAPRoleMappingConnection EXCEPT remove USER and PASSWD ... you will not be able to use Test Connection to verify.

Stephen

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

As per my previous post, you need to remove the username and password.

Best regards,

Luke

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oops - posts must've crossed - I got sidetracked while writing my reply!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravindra.

Have you checked (as per the error message) that the user account(s) you are testing with is(/are) assigned to a valid org unit?  By valid I mean one that is in date and available (for staged it would need to be included in the extract, live would typically be fine in any case - but you don't mention which architecture you are using).

Also that looks like it's the end user error message (on screen).  Is there anything more detailed in the cds.log?

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen

We are using the Live_RFC build.

In our test data we are using are all valid & current data.

Warning msg in the log -

INFO com.nakisa.Logger - RoleMappingInformation Load: 7

INFO com.nakisa.Logger - RolesXML Load: 15

WARN com.nakisa.Logger - Configuration merge warning: : Right configuration is null - Merge skipped!

Regards

Ravindra

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravindra.

The cds.log doesn't seem to suggest much, and you indicate that you are using valid and current data which is being pulled live from SAP.  You don't say if you checked that the account you are using is assigned to a valid Org Unit.

If you set the root org unit to the one to which your test account is assigned (i.e. rather than dynamically setting it) can you see the occupied position in the chart that corresponds to the employee who is assigned the user account you are testing with?

e.g. Your login account "JSMITH1" is linked to employee "John Smith" who is the incumbent for position "Sales Manager" which is part of the org unit "Sales Division".  By setting a static root to be "Sales Division" can you see "Sales Manager" and the employee details beneath it?  (Note: double check the employee to which the account is assigned).

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen

We have checked the static root option & it is working fine for different org units as root.

But when we activate dynamic rooting, it is not working for any user id. This could not be related to any authorization issue.

Regards

Ravindra

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravindra.

Maybe I'm mis-reading your reply, but I'm not sure you've tried what I suggested.

You mention you've tried multiple org units as the root OU, that you've tried dynamic root visualization for several user IDs.  The test only required a single test of a static org unit root.

What I'm suggesting is that you:

1. Identify a user ID you use to login to OrgChart.
  2. Look in SAP to identify what personnel number (and therefore employee) the user ID is assigned to and from that what current position the employee holds in what org unit.
  3. Set the hierarchy root ID in OrgChart to the ID of the org unit you identified in 2 above.
  4. Navigate to the position in the hierarchy in OrgChart.

If this test is successful then I believe that you will have confirmed that you have a user that should be taken to a valid org unit as the root if you reconfigure the chart to display a dynamic root.

If the test fails then you should have a good idea as to what the issue is.

If the test works then I would consider trying to reproduce the issue with an out of the box build configured for dynamic root visualization.  Should that then work correctly, you have a mis-configuration in your other build.  Alternately if it fails then I would consider raising an OSS.

Stephen.