cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discontinuation Group at BOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Consultants,

I assigned a Discontinuation Indicator and Discontinuation Group for the relevant BOM items. BOX1 is to be replaced by BOX2 when BOX1's stock is zero. Right now, BOX1 is zero and at MRP run, BOX2 is being used. Also when creating Proc Ord, box2 is the Bom item with requirements.

The question is, at cost estimate (ck11n) howcome box1 is still being read?

Thanks,

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

My first remark:

MRP is applayed to BOX2 even when stock of BOX1 is not zero - this is the sense of discontinuation. And if MRP works fine there shouldn't be problem with POs as well.

As for your question:

In my opinion discontinuation is a solution that makes sense until stock from the old material exists. Of course, you can continue to use it even if the stock of BOX1 have already run out as you are doing...but as per my understanding when you have no stock from the material-to-be-replaced (old material, BOX1) disontinuation makes sense no more...

So my suggestion is that please remove the old product from your BOM and use the new one instead of it.

BR

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba,

We are currently in implementation of PPPI, and we are not in Live yet. So I purposely zeroed out the stocks of BOX1 just so I can test it for the future scenario. I understand that it's no use to put BOX1 there at the BOM, but the thing is, the company has these kind of scenarios for thousands of materials. So replacing the materials manually at the BOM seems to be inefficient.

They want to use the discontinuation group/indicator for this matter. Thanks.

Experts, please help. this has been a problem for a month now and no one has ever commented a clear solution. This is my third post for this problem.

Thanks gurus! Regards!

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

As I understand you eliminated the stock levels of to-be-replaced materials in several BOMs because of technical reason.

In this case you will set back the stock levels as per my understanding, so first the 'old' materials will be consumed. In this case what is the purpose / sense of doing a costing run with the follow-up materials?

My second remark is that the purpose of disontinuation is to ramp down the stock&procurement of 'old' materials and transfer DepReq for the new components (anbd ramp up their stocks).

So, I think the goal of discontinuation is purely MRP related.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/ea/e9b3f84c7211d189520000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

I have very low knowledge about costing but I would wonder if you could solve this problem since I think that the follow-up goods are not 'real component' of the BOMs (you can set the follow-up material in material master as well).

If you are in implementation phase maybe you can download the BOMs > remove the 'old' goods > replace them with their follow-ups > upload the new BOMs and do costing run...

But still I can't understand the sense of your requirement...

Just my opinion, I'm not expert.

BR

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba,

Ok, finally i get your point.

So how do other industries/companies do it anyway with this scenario? When the material is to be replaced, do they manually replace it right away? Thanks!

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know how this issue is generally solved / managed at different companies so I would ask the others to tell their opinion / experiences.

But as I know there's no automated process that would monitor your stock levels / MRP lists and would execute the changes in your BOM. I think you have to do it manually in CS02 / CS20 - I have only seen manual solution.

This can be problem if you have to manage lots of such changes - the other side of the coin is that BOMs are master data and frequent changes in master data are not good...

The company should have some reason to use / implement new materials instead the old ones (e.g. engeneering change) and they should have a plan to get through with this change both physically and in SAP.

So, I think there should be a person in charge whose responsibilty is to have control over these issues.

Of course, if we could set in SAP how to manage these things automatically it would be better...but AFAIK it's not solved yet.

BR

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Csaba,

Thanks for your inputs. I'm expounding on your suggestion and comments. Points rewarded. Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Can u bit elaborate on this,

While CK11n both BOX1 and BOX2 are being costed or only BOX1.

Also check the dates on which you are costing and the effect out date in material master in MRP4.

Regards,

Vinayak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinayak,

Date: Current

BOX1 Stocks: 0

BOX2 Stocks: 1,500

Currently, there are no stocks for BOX1, it's now "phased out". All orders related should use BOX2, which is working just fine in Process Orders and in MRP. But in cost estimate, it always picks up BOX1. Only BOX1.

Dates used in CK11N:

Costing Date (from - to): July 8, 2008 - Dec 31, 9999

Qty Structure Date: July 8, 2008

Valuation Date: July 8, 2008

Please advise experts. Thanks!!!