cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Develop Add-On (DI/UI) On Sap Business One Without SDK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello I'm interesting if I can develop add-on for sbo if I have licence of sbo client. Is there any problem in it? Is there any Licence guide about this?

View Entire Topic
former_member201110
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

It's my understanding that you MUST have a SDK license to do ANY development using the DI API. The licensing section in the SDK appears to support that. Can you point me at any official statement that says that you are allowed to write your own code that references the DI API? I know that there is no license enforced within the DI API itself so it's quite possible to just start using the DI API without a license but that does breach SAP's licensing rules (as I understand it).

Kind Regards,

Owen

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Owen,

Owen Slater wrote:

...I know that there is no license enforced within the DI API itself...

Of course there is. Without a license, you cannot access the company object, and if you cannot access the company object, you can neither access nor manipulate data. For the same reason, technically the UI API cannot be used freely as you said. simply because you need a license to open the B1 client, before your addon can even start. And even then you can only access those parts of the GUI that your license and authorizations give you access to.

Owen Slater wrote:

...so it's quite possible to just start using the DI API without a license but that does breach SAP's licensing rules (as I understand it)....

The thing is, are we talking about a license to create / use the addon or to sell the addon ? If you want to develop and sell an addon, and you want your addon to be recognized / endorsed by SAP, you will need a contract with SAP, which probably includes a term that you must have an SDK license, and probably some certificates, and such. Not having any of that, will really only endanger your and your customer's support from SAP (barring untrue claims of SAP endorsement).

Its like a ripping the final chapter out of a book, and writing your own ending because you didn't like the original. The writer or publisher will only care if you go and start selling your version of the story without their permission.

To use any addon, official or not, all you need is any SAP license that allows you to manipulate data in the B1 system. However, you cannot expect SAP to fix your system if an addon created by an unlicensed developer broke it.

It is a bit like most product guarantees really. It is only valid if the installer or maintenance company is certified by the producer. If you go and buy a brand x sunroof from Hongkong, and install it yourself in your brand new BMW, and it starts leaking water, BMW is not going to reimburse you for costs incurred. If you have an original BMW sunroof installed by an official BMW dealer, either the dealer and/or BMW will be liable for the costs of a botched job or faulty product.

All that said, and for full disclosure I develop addons for our own use only, and we have an SDK license.

All in all, this is really just an interesting discussion, and I would definitely recommend that a developer get an SDK license, and that a customer only buys certified addons, or develop them for their own use, with an SDK license.

Regards,

Johan