Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining an Upgrade Cadence for S/4 Hana OnPremise

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently implementing S/4 Hana at a greenfield site. We are not live yet but want to set out a cadence for upgrading S/4 so that we stay up to date and get the business in the mindset that we do regular upgrades rather than when their is a specific business driver. There is already some resistance on this due to bandwidth but as we all know there is always a reason not to upgrade.

What is SAP's official recommendation on how often you should upgrade an S/4 system? This is not a question on the release cycle for FP's and SP's or what is the max length of time you can leave between upgrades. I am trying to get SAP's opinion on best practice.

Thanks

Jim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

anandtigadikar
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Apart from above post from Tammy, please go thru this too from Understanding best practices point of view.

https://rapid.sap.com/bp/#/browse/packageversions/BP_OP_ENTPR

I totally understand doing upgrade every year is quite overwhelming and can be quite intrusive if not planned correctly, but given the amount of new features and Innovations are released in each of these newer versions, it's always recommended to be on latest version or at-least adopt n-1 by which your systems can always be stable an ready to leverage new features across different modules.

Hope this helps...

-Anand

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Anand, this makes it all the more important to have an agreed cadence with the business.

jim_oshea5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for coming back so quick. In my previous company we applied SP's or EHPS every year to ECC, to be honest the overall impact to the business of applying SP's or EHP's is similar. It kept the system up to date (N-1 , where n is the latest release). It avoided the snowball effect and meant we could get the upgrade/patching included in all the other work taking place each year. If we didn't have this fixed cadence we would never get it included in the program of work and we may well have been looking at 5 years which I wouldn't recommend.

My understanding is the patching/upgrading in S/4 is less intrusive and brings a lot more benefits hence I am thinking that we try upgrade every calendar year. I have heard horror stories from companies that didn't patch/upgrade regularly and led to a lot of difficulties.

Once we go live, I see every year getting more busy and it getting more difficult to get the business buy in to a round of patching/upgrades.

It would be great to get other customers experience of this.

Thanks again

Jim

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim - timely question, we were discussing this yesterday. Please see Elizabeth Cusack's post here: https://blogs.sap.com/2020/06/15/is-it-time-for-an-sap-s-4hana-upgrade-and-is-it-really-necessary/

At a minimum, it will be every 5 years (my take on reading her post).

For us, we went live last year on 1909, and looking at our projects this year we are considering updating to 2021. It's all TBD. In the past we would perform annual support pack updates; perhaps instead of that we do an upgrade?