cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Add-In with ByDesign

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've been able to successfully get the Crystal Reports Add-In (version 2011) to work successfully on two machines.  One Machine, however, generates the following error AFTER successfully logging in and then opening a formatted report.The variable selection screen successfully displays, but after that:

Dataset not valid

Refresh report and select characteristic value other than '#'.

Has anyone else experienced and resolved this issue?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raynes,

We did some research and have been able to resolve this issue so far. We managed to get an old version of CR 2011 SP 4 and this version worked on the machine on which we had this issue with VR 2013 SP4 and CR 2011 SP9.

Could you please check your version of CR and see if it is higher than CR 2011 SP 4?

Best regards,

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Uwe.  It looks like this install is SP 10?  (14.0.10.1493)

May I ask how you obtained the version 2011 SP4?

Thanks,

Raynes

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raynes,

An old business contacts, who works with Crystal Reports for a few years now, had a backup which included his trial version of CR 2011 which was SP4. As we did a lot of trial and error to find a crystal version that works for us we gave this version a try. And it worked. Finally. I did a lot of installing/uninstalling different crystal version on all kinds of machines and Win OS.

The only thing that remains is: are we able to purchase a key that works with this SP4? WE really need that because we have many customers who would like to have some financial reports - nicely formatted.

To be honest, I do not know if there are any SAP place or resellers who have a SP4 version of CR 2011. I could only offer you to directly if you want to have it to test it youself and see if this fixes your problem.

Best regards,

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Uwe,

How lucky for you to have had that contact!

Wish I had an answer for you about the key. Very gracious of you to share the SP4 version.  Would love to experiment with it here.

Thanks so much,

Raynes

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and did not find a sloution yet. Have you been able to solve the problem or did you find any work-around?

Thanks and best regards,

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Uwe,

No, we didn't find a resolution for this, and gave up.

Instead, we used the Excel Add-in to export the data in a ByDesign report.  Then we used that Excel file as our datasource from Crystal.

Not elegant, for sure.  But so far it's working.

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raynes,

Thanks for the answer. I raised an incident, maybe there will be some result.

I will let you know.

Best regards,

Uwe

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raynes,

Maybe it is possible for you to use a webservice instead.

Although I have this issue with this dataset '#' provblem I was able to set up a connection to webservices and get the data this way. That could be an alternative solution to your excel export solution.

Best regards,

Uwe

umehring4cloud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Finally (after some time and a lot of communication) we have an answer on that incident:

The development team has found a possible resolution for the issue - nevertheless solving the issue will take some time and they estimate that they can provide the changes with ByDesign release 1611. For now, we should continue using SP07 or ealier release of CR2011.

Best regards,

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raynes,

I’ve seen this issue when the customer was using Crystal Report 2013 version. Currently, the Crystal Add-In is only supported for CR 2008 and CR 2011.

Regards,

Cristiano Rosa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Cristiano.  Unfortunately that is not the case here.  Other ideas?