cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create PO for Packaging materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Is it possible to create PR or PO for Packaging materials instead of materials? I wanna unpack these Packaging materials during inbound delivery and then receipt all of materials.

Material type for these Packaging materials is VERP (non-valuated and no-quantity updated)

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ankurch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Najmeh,

Please communicate with your procurement team, they will definitely know what goods they are procuring and in what quantity, i think it will solve your problem.

Neither quantity updates nor value update is the featur of material type NLAG not for VERP

Thanks & regards,

Ankur Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankur

thank you for suggesting material type NLAG instead of VERP

Regards

former_member233510
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In real time business, there is possibility of packaging material (VERP) with value and quantity update. It's up to you, specifying material type VERP relevant to quantity and value updating for your valuation area.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you for your reply

but how can I convert these packaging materials to real materials which they contain? I wanna goods receipt the real materials not packaging materials.

Best Regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

VERP is just a material type, you can in general order any kind of material.

But how do you know what is in this packaging, and how does your vendor know what should be in this packaging if you only order packaging?

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you for your reply

I wanna use packaging material as dummy materials in order time. the vendor according to it's BOM send us materials and a packing list as an excel file. from that time we know the exact materials.

Now my question is that imagine ordering with these dummy materials. according to packing list I can define packaging instructions. Is it possible to convert these packaging materials to real materials in delivery time? because I wanna goods receipt the real materials not dummies!

Best Regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not clear at all and does honestly not sound like a serious business case.

You do not know what you get except that it is in a certain package, sounds like a wonderful bag at a funfair.

And then you want post the receipt of the materials that the vendor put in that package based on packaging instructions.  (shouldn't this better be called unpacking instructions then? )

How would you like to evaluate those materials?

Why don't you just receive them with a 501 movement?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually your right it's some how wired. First of all I should mention that this scenario is happened just with one of our suppliers for specific type of procurement. (but 2 or 3 times every year)

Because of too many changes that happens during procurement, our purchasing department don't know the exact list of materials. so they just use 5 dummy materials for creating PR. after that (it may longs 6-10 months!) the packing list is send to the purchasing department by vendor. Now according to this packing list, PO document is created (of course without any reference to PR). It means that PR is not a practical document in our system.

I just try to find some way to attach PR to PO!

I thought maybe there is some way to

1- create PO like PR (with these dummy material)

2- receipt real materials during the process of inbound delivery (with help of packaging instructions witch are created according to packing list)

Best Regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Explain a real example, I can't believe that you order something without knowing what you want and what you get. Nobody does this, and how shall your vendor know what you want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry if I made you confused!

we have a special vendor that procure specials kinds of materials for our production. According to our supplier sometimes these material numbers are changed or replaced according to our production, time, stock availability,....

Because of the rate of changes and difficulty of tracking these changes in purchasing documents, purchasing department prefer not to create real PR. instead of that just email their requirement to supplier. For example purchasing department announce their rough requirement. they just mention the name of packs (packs of material). after finalization of the order, packing list is delivered.

You know PR document is just an information document for our purchasing organization to start procurement process.

As I mentioned, this happens just for one of our procurement processes!

thank you for your attention

Best Regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't expect a SAP solution for a case where your purchasing department orders with an plain email and does not want to do any action in SAP.

And I still don't get the loop to a packaging and why you think packaging instructions could be used to solve this issue.

I can understand that your business case might be confidential but it is in this very specific case hard to imagine something meaningful if the case is explained so  simplified and abstract .

But your story even gets more confusing with any new answer.

Look at this phrase: "we have a special vendor that procure specials kinds of materials for our production. According to our supplier sometimes these material numbers are changed or replaced according to our production, time, stock availability"

Usually we procure at a vendor, a vendor delivers. So it is confusing when you say that your vendor procures material.

The second sentence is also confusing, are the numbers changed because of your production or his production? And if it is his production, why do you bother at all, isn't the component still the same for you even your vendor differentiates it in more detail for his internal pleasure?

IF it is your production that requires changes in numbers, then why can't this be reflected in your system early enough that purchasing could procure the right items?

Why does the vendor decide what you need for your production?

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you very much for your reply and attention

some misunderstandings may happen because of my poor English. like the sentence you mentioned. of course we procure at a vendor and the vendor delivers.

By the way as you mentioned packaging instructions aren't meaningful in this case. Is it possible to do unpacking during inbound delivery process?

If It was possible, I could define the packaging instructions according to packing list (an excel file which deliver from vendor via email) and use them during inbound delivery (unpack ordered packaging materials to materials witch they contain)

It seems wired

Best Regards